Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

Do you believe some houses have bad energy?

kimcoco
14 years ago

I have another post about buying next to a cemetary, and someone brought up an interesting point that I have been saying to my husband all along. I thought I'd start a new thread since this is somewhat off-topic from my first post.

We bought a fixer upper in 2004. I love my house and everything that we've done to it...but it is a money pit, though from the standpoint of the character this house has, I have no regrets.

The problem is we've had nothing but bad luck since we've bought this place. And I don't mean about things breaking down in your house, but rather about life experiences.

For example....

The previous owners sold due to a divorce. The first week we moved here my husband got a speeding ticket. My cat of 17 years died within months. My mother was diagnosed with a terminal illness. I came home one night from her house to find a huge dead black crow on my front lawn.

We have had some of the worst experiences with contractors we've hired...(we really get along with people well, we go out of our way to help neighbors, etc.). The most recent is we have a bad situation with a nasty, nasty neighbor now...a complete nightmare.

The point that someone mentioned earlier is that you should find out how happy the previous owners were before buying a new home, as the energy in the house has a tendency to repeat itself from owner to owner. I'm a first time homeowner myself, but just wondering if anyone has ever felt this way about a house you've lived in?

I get that everyone has trials and tribulations in life and not everything will go smooth, but I feel like this house is nothing more than a bad omen, or has bad karma, however you want to describe it, it just seems like negative energy.

Comments (349)

• Dina Smith
    last year

so sorry to hear about this absolutely awful. How can you leave animals without food or water?I hope you reported this low life. I highly recommend leaving this property and the area. It's hard to say whether its the house or area where this negative energy from.

• Dina Smith
    last year

if you can't leave the property i highly recommed having a gifted psyhic or medium come in your house to clear away this unhelpful energy and let you know what is causing it.

• Dina Smith
    last year

the only other thing i can think of is that someone is sending you negative energy. is there anyone that you are on not good terms with?

• Dina Smith
    last year

keep me updated

• George Le
    last year

I bought a brand new house 2 years ago nothing but bad luck. I moved in with my partner of 15 years. First week we broke up. I got 2 fines. I had a house mate there for 6months he left. I lost my job and today I came home to find someone just ran there car in to my house. I have a on going my court case that I am the victim. Nothing but bad

• kudzu9
    last year

And all of those unfortunate incidents have nothing to do with an inanimate object, the house.

• klem1
    last year

So kudz if it isn't attributable to anything inanimate,the house,might it be something intimate,the pardner?

• kudzu9
    last year

That's a lot to lay on one pardner... ;-)

• klem1
    last year

Folks down the road have a shaman and group of people chasing buggers out of their house from time to time. When things don't go right for me I blame it on them for running it from their place to mine.

• kudzu9
    last year

klem1- That sounds as logical as any of the other explanations I've seen in this thread. Thanks for the insight.

• klem1
    last year

You are welcome kudz and it's totally based on science. A few years ago when the last undeveloped property in the neighborhood was striped of trees,bushes, weeds and grass we were overrun by displaced rats,mice,rabbits and snakes. I would think the same is true of displaced buggers,they have to go somewhere. 🧛

• toxcrusadr
    last year

One thing to keep in mind is that it is not that weird for strings of negative events to occur at random. An analogy is a totally random thing like flipping a coin. Turns out that if you flip one 500 times and write down the result each time, you'll get a lot of 3, 5, 7, even 10 in a row streaks of heads (or tails). In fact, if you ask someone to write down a 'random' sequence, humans tend to greatly underestimate how many streaks randomly occur. This can actually be used to detect fake data in some cases (along with the frequency of occurrence of digits).

Not saying I don't believe in negative energy or the spirit world. Just that there can be other explanations, like 'random bad luck.'

• klem1
    last year
    last modified: last year

When does it become apparent bad luck is no longer random

• Donnalee M
    last year

Most contributors in this long time thread are helpful; thank you. True that random things can happen and yes correlation is not necessarily causation - - - BUT sometimes events just defy scientific explanation.

• kudzu9
    last year

Even if you can't provide a "scientific explanation" for something, it doesn't logically follow that an irrational explanation must be the cause.

• klem1
    last year

Spoken like a true optimist kudz,life's way too short for spending time with things that can't be explained. Even if you can't make out the shadow,hoof beats in the night is likely just someone out for a peaceful

mid-night ride, not the Headless Horseman.

• NewOne
    last year

We moved to a new house not even a month ago and since we moved here we don’t feel good and bad things started to happen. First thing that was weird and we joked that it’s a bad omen was a dead bird on our balcony. After a month it’s not that funny anymore…

We started to fight which we weren’t doing for years, the whole family got covid, one family member found out about terminal illness, I can’t sleep and I never had problems with that, there were some legal issues.. I really don’t want anything else bad to happen. how do people get rid of the negative energy???

• kudzu9
    last year

There is a lot of stress related to moving into a different house. But that doesn't mean the house is causing the problems.

• klem1
    last year

"There is a lot of stress related to moving into a different house. But that doesn't mean the house is causing the problems."

kudz have you been in my smart pills again? It's called buyer's remorse.

• toxcrusadr
    last year

If there is too much negative energy, try thinking positive in spite of it? Bring some positive energy to the situation. Don't stare at the darkness.

• PRO
    AiFL
    last year

@New One…1.02 million people in the US have died from Covid, but your family survived, so maybe it was your house that saved you. Also it’s estimated that between 500 million to 1 billion birds die each year, but you’ve only had 1, again, your house seems to be protecting you.

• thanos sb
    last year

Hi ..I need help from anyone who's reading this and who share the same experience as me. I have been living on rental property for many years, my 1st house which was a flat, I lived there for 11 years with all great things and opportunities in life. As I got married and expecting my 2nd baby my husband and I decided to get a better place. So, we moved to a double-storey house.A couple of months in our new house things started to turn bad. My husband lost his job(he was on a higher post and èarned handsome salary) and as a result he started to borrow money and we were stuck in lots of debts but somehow we managed to pay all. Later, my husband lost another 2 jobs in a year which made us so frustrated. After that, my dad was hospitalised for many months which made him suffer so much. One year later, I went through miscarriage of my 3rd baby that really broke my heart. And again year after year nothing good has happened. And my husband till today is still struggling to land himself a promising job and it's our 5th year here. We are now trying to find another house believing there's something not right with the current one. Still, we can't get hold any house that we find suitable for our family it's either taken or too pricey so I'm kinda stuck here. But we are trying our best to move out by December this year. Please drop me your opinion on this, I really appreciate it.

• Dina Smith
    last year

Hi there just reading your story. Sorry to hear what you are going through. This might like sound like a silly question but is there anyone in your life like family or friends you are not on good terms with? Are there any issues with inside the home? like constant things breaking? pest issues? leaking ,plumbing issues? Sometimes its to do with the area you are in.

• HU-779299517
    last year

Sometimes we have a run of bad luck ….this year 2022 is a 5 year 2+2+2=6 11 - 6 = 5……it is not a good year to move house so if you do nothing else leave it till after 6th February next year to move house…………there are many other feng shui nine star ki things you can do but then you end up living in fear of getting it wrong …..so for now plan your move next year from February onwards and have great expectations of a happy successful life with wealth and prosperity in abundance. Your mindset can hold you back, listen to George Harrisons I got my Mind Set on you………….see what you want and go for it and expect only good fortune from now on. Good luck I wish you well x

• thanos sb
    last year

Hi there..thank u for your feedback. And yes you're absolutely correct my neighbourhood has leaking and plumbing issues, almost in all houses. Some residents have moved out and some still lingering there including my family.

• thanos sb
    last year

HU-779299517 , thank you for yout feedback and suggestion. How about moving out in January 2023 since it's new year? I'm kind of hoping new year will offer some positive changes to me and my family. To be staying in this current house a little longer worries me a bit, what if something worse happens. to any of us in this house.

• klem1
    last year

If everything else fails there's always THIS

• Dina Smith
    last year

I have noticed where there is a lot of negative energy in a house or surrounding area you will have problems with the house such as leaks plumbing , things breaking etc. I know it's going to be difficult but try to keep an up beat positive attitude. Some areas and houses carry a lot of negative energy. Maybe have a blessing done to your house depending on your faith. If it gives you any hope maybe a psychic reading on a place i go to called Etsy you can get them cheap on there. :)

• Kellie Retherford
    last year

I very much believe that buildings/homes can possess negative energy. Mainly through emotional residue. I have been having nightmares for the past decade about homes that reek of the stench of decomposition. The feeling of being inside them is just...dread. Anguish. That's the only way to describe it. It's more than just "evil". If you could conjure up the most disgusting, vile thoughts, and compile them, it would feel worse than that. I always feel trapped, with a knowledge that I can never leave that particular place. Thankfully those are just dreams, but I can sense energies of homes and buildings in real life. I know it sounds insane, but on three different occasions, I have identified a building or a house where something awful has happened in the past. It's not paranormal, and it's more scientific than people realize. Read up on research studies done on emotional residue. It's a very real thing that I believe everyone has the ability to pick up on, but either chooses to ignore it or they're not as sensitive to that ability. People love jumping into their skepticism and I don't blame them. I don't personally believe in ghosts or hauntings or anything like that, but negative energy is certainly a thing.

• Dina Smith
    last year

Hi Kellie,

that's a very long time to have nightmares of the same thing. I do believe you have psychic ability by what you are describing. Another thing i can think of is that something is attached to you, possibly when you were younger and in a vulnerable state.

• HU-779299517
    last year

Just a reminder that it is February not January next year because January is still connected to a five year…………I once lived in a house that appeared to be haunted and leaving was the best thing I ever did………..the house sold repeatedly after a short period of time for over 20 years and then the new owners have been there ever since. Sometimes renovation can affect the energy of a house and I renovated top to bottom even floors came up so maybe it takes time for the energy to settle again. Who knows 20 years is a long time to wait for balance …..our mindset affects what happens to us too and your mind is set on something being wrong with your house…………if you love the house find ways to work it out if its just a house get it up for sale but dont move out before February next year and find joy in your new home. Good luck this stuff happens its not down to you x

• Kellie Retherford
    last year

Hi Dina, you may be right. Honestly though, I think all humans are capable of this sensibility, some are just more in tune with it than others, I'm a bit of a skeptic though so that could be my issue. It's less paranormal for me, and more so picking up on auras of a place. It's so bizarre. I could never fully explain it to myself, and I've never shared that information about myself with anyone else because they'll think I'm crazy, lol. Thanks for responding!

• HU-589462902
    last year

Okay, here's my "bad house" story:

We bought the house in the spring of 2021, at the height of the hot, hot, hot real estate market in western NC. It was grab it now or in ten minutes another buyer will snatch it away- so we did. (My partner was enthusiastic, I was ambivalent.) It was an approx. 3000 sq-foot house built in 2010, one-owner, with a modern cathedral ceiling-type design- so it wasn't some ancient haunted house with a sordid history. (It does have an odd do-it-yourself type design, though, with TWELVE doors to the outside and lots of details being "off".)

The first time after closing that I went back into the house, my skin literally crawled. Tingles went down the back of my neck, and not in a good way. I became distraught and wanted to cry. I told myself it was just my imagination because my partner felt nothing. After we moved in, we both heard doors slamming LOUDLY and sounds like a stack of books being dropped to the floor. An investigation never produced an explanation for these noises.

Within one month my beloved cat was diagnosed with lymphoma. He died ONE YEAR TO THE DAY after we moved in. My partner developed melanoma on her lower eye lid and had to have three surgeries. Her mother was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. I had to have two back teeth extracted due to suddenly-worse periodontal disease. I began having strange, scary dreams. My partner's tendency to have rage episodes grew exponentially worse. In addition, I intuitively sensed that I should not drink the water even though I had it tested and it was fine. We have had large ceramic figures move into new positions. Heavy objects have tipped over with no obvious explanation. And I have seen what looked like long, thin shadows run across the hallway.

Now, here's another layer of weirdness: I met our neighbor and he told me that he, too, intuitively knew not to drink the water. He also said that when he first moved into his house ( a new build), that he also heard all the booming noises, slamming doors, etc.

When I leave the house I feel better and when I return home I quickly sink into a bad mood or a funk.

Some places are not welcoming to everyone. We're putting the house on the market now with the hopes that someone less sensitive will buy it and be able to peacefully live here.

• klem1
    last year

"We're putting the house on the market now with the hopes that someone less sensitive will buy it and be able to peacefully live here."

Does NC real estate law require disclosure of what you felt while living in the house?

• HU-589462902
    last year

No, this type of thing would be scoffed at. Plus I truly do think that someone who is less sensitive could enjoy this place very much. It's in a beautiful setting. Their internal "radio" may not be tuned to the "station" that is broadcasting these disruptive energies.

• PRO
    Laura Alexander
    last year

I know I'm a bit late to the party on this thread. But I've been researching houses that have ghosts, bad luck, bad energy because of a rental condo I've been in for 2 years. I moved in at the height of the pandemic (Jan 2021) because I had to move out of another condo I was in for 8 years (in the same complex). Owner was moving into that one so I needed to find another place. So this condo came up and I immediately took it. I officially moved in Feb. 25th, 2021. Problems began even before moving in. A handyman (the owner hired to do some work) left a window open with the heater blasting for 2 days. $900 heating bill. OK, he accepted responsibility and paid for it. In March 2021 water backed up in the laundry room causing a flood into the dining room. Two months later in May 2021 it happened again. Then another major flooding in May 2022. I began to fall ill, (mystery illness) that started Summer 2021 until I was finally diagnosed with severe asthma in Nov. 2022 due to the mold which is under the floor and in the air ducts. We can blame this on plumbing problems but that's not all. Leaking roof and skylights (despite new roof). One problem with this house after another...all in all, 26 visits from workmen, landlord, contractors, etc etc in 24 months. There is no peace in this house. You walk in and it's beautiful....but there's no peaceful feeling. Landlord told me in Sept 2022 she wanted to move in by mid-Jan 2023 so I began looking for another place. Took forever (lack of rentals in our area) but found a great house in Nov, signed lease, and then the lease fell through 2 weeks later and a host of other major problems happened....fell ill w/COVID for 3 weeks, then we had flooding in our area and had to evacuate.....too many details for this post and totally bizarre. Feb 2023 and still stuck here because I found another house and the obstacles to getting there are ridiculous. All this chaos and drama has held me back from moving forward on starting a business because I've been "putting out one fire after another".

Backstory: the gal in her 30s who lived here w/her boyfriend had a drug problem (lots of arguing) and died in Fall 2020, before my landlord bought it. My next door neighbors told me about it. My landlord bought it around Oct/Nov 2020, then did some remodeling to rent it out. I moved in Feb 2021. I don't know who owned the house before the girl who died because my neighbors next door moved in around the same time. I have no other history to go on regarding the negative energy of this house. All I know it's been a really rough ride and all I'm trying to do is get out of here....after all this I sincerely believe in "bad energy" of a house resulting from things that happened there. I believe the energy imprints on the space. I have tried everything...using sage, performing blessing rituals, crystals everywhere, prayers, etc etc. I hope I can be out soon...this has been an absolute nightmare.

• Travis Johnson
    last year

I dont believe in bad energy, but i tell you if there was such a thing it would be where i work. We swear this thing was built on burial ground as the most simplest things are huge problem’s here, We even have a huge white board that says ”BOBG” for built on burial ground.that we point to when people ask why things are so crazy here.

In my own house just bought, i think the previous owners missed the concept of staging a house to sell as they lived a very different life style than most, with a love of black. Everything is painted black and they had very anti-church theme on many things in the house. The point is not any religious affiliation here, but if 115 million people go to church every Sunday, you may not want to infuriate that many potential buyers.

We still bought the place but goodness do you know how many coats of white paint it takes to cover black? Four. It takes four coats at least!

• Wavua Mwambonu
    8 months ago

More than ever,I believe that..

the previous tenant before me had crazy financial issues, I lost everything months after moving into this house...moved out n the energy is lighter...my finances are gradually taking shape...energy levels are back

• Stax
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

You've gotta be kiddin'.

• Wavua Mwambonu
    8 months ago

Nope...so

• kudzu9
    8 months ago

Correlation is not causation....

• auntthelma
    8 months ago

Yes. Since the time my husband and I walked into a condo on a house hunt. I was wondering how hard it would be to remove the wallpaper. Suddenly Suddenly, he blurts out, ”I can’t live here!” and runs out the door! He was really shaken. Not a vision, not a noise, nothing concrete. Just a feeling of evil that sent him running out.

So, yes.

• kudzu9
    8 months ago

Just because he had "a feeling of evil" doesn't mean or prove that it existed. I'll take your word that it existed in his mind, but that's a different thing....

• Travis Johnson
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

The former owner of my current home claims the house is haunted. While the previous previos owners wife and daughter drowned in the river out back, the woman was into witchcraft and did podcasts.

I have never heard anything in the 6 months i have lived there. Just in case i have my guns loaded with hollow points and silver bullets for both mortal and inmortal alike. 😀😀😀

I think people hear and see what they want.

Fill a home with faith, hope and love and their wont be room for evil.

• auntthelma
    8 months ago

Kudzu, it existed to him, therefore it existed. I didn’t feel it. The realtor didn’t feel it. But it was real. I am not claiming a scientific study, just the response to, do you think some homes have bad energy. My response, yes yes, I do think some homes have bad energy.

• NewOne
    8 months ago

It's been a year since we moved into our house, and I do believe that there was bad energy in it at the beginning.

After I posted here, I read more and decided to do some things to turn the energy around and it seems it worked! I think a big part of it was just working on my inner energy and bringing this up with my partner. He's not the type of person who would believe in bad energy and haunted places, but he agreed that something was off here and that we should try to do something about it. It can't hurt, right?

I cleaned the whole house very thoroughly, and while I was doing it, I was repeating my intentions and good thoughts about the house and the life we want to build here. I also repainted some walls and added a few details that bring good memories. Then I bought sage and went through all rooms and corners to clear the air. It also helped when I added a few green plants that should clear the air. I think that adding something alive to the space helps, too.

This was a newly built house and I don't think it was as bad as it could be with the houses that are here for generations and accumulating a lot of energy (good and bad), so that's why I think these small things we did, helped us to live happier here.

I started to believe that places have energy when I was driving through Poland a few years ago and not even knowing where exactly I was, I started to feel that something is wrong and dangerous. We were actually passing by Auschwitz which we realized after a few minutes of that "feeling"... Maybe I'm the one who's more sensitive to this, but I believe that we all have some sort of antenna for these kinds of things, someone recognizes it, someone denies it.

• EZ Inc
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

You sound just like me. I don't know if it would help but it may be best to move into a home that is on the ready, and it's already vacant. But moving into properties in one way or the other is going to be difficult. It comes down to practicalities so do plenty of safety checks if you can do this. It's true the ignorance of others can really trip another up. We're selling before the 6 month milestone even though we really like the house there were too many things that were wrong per se. Also double check on the actual area because it may be friendly or unfriendly. Try not to think too much about the negativity because you can also bring the outcomes on yourself. If you're so attuned to energies take this into account when considering any locations, and try not to make any rash decisions. There's too many other places to be.

• HU-779299517
    2 months ago

From the sound of things your house is one with character so lets say it was built in 1580 imagine how many different lives have been lived in that house and the vibrations of family life that will have been absorbed by the walls………but that was there lives not yours. Feng Shui does have a lot of rules about moving house in the right direction at the right time but to be honest its nigh on impossible to set up the right rules for everything. Old houses will carry the most energy ……..I renovated an old house once not that old about 100 years but it was without doubt haunted afterwards and apparently digging up floors, knocking down walls all cause disruption which may take a few years to settle down again. Building work is known to cause negative energies to appear but they do settle eventually. So maybe give it time but if things don’t improve make the decision to move. Try to free your mindset from the house being bad and refocus as it being somewhere that protects the family and if it doesn’t work. … maybe a move is best all round. I am so sorry you have had this experience we all want to be happy in our homes it is our place of balance and harmony and if its not let it go. Good luck x

• HU-779299517
    2 months ago

Just as an aside there is a TV show on the BBC called Uncanny and it has many similar experiences to ours well worth a look. x

• HU-779299517
    2 months ago

Yes I do believe some houses can have bad energy…………I wonder where Jack the Ripper lived for example I don’t think too many of us would want to live there and it would only be because his energy was now in the walls. Good and bad people can live in houses so both energies can combine but very old houses in particular will have more going on than a new build. There are so many variations on a theme that you can never really just blame the house but if it feels bad it may well be. My niece looked at a house and took her dog with her who refused to go in that was enough for her. Lol x