Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
House making noise

Posted by bigboy96 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 12 at 1:28

I have been in my house for more then 10 years and it seems to be still be settling. Every night when we go to bed we hear what. Can be mistaking for someone walking around upstairs or downstairs. Can a house settle for that long or is there something else that might be happening

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: House making noise

Ha, sorry it's not funny but I so know where you're coming from. Your house probably settles with the change of seasons or even the weather, mine does. Footsteps? That would be disturbing alright but I don't believe in ghosts, probably the floors creaking. Of course you could always jump up and sneak a look at who or whatever is lurking about. Are there ways someone could be gaining access to your house? I've heard of intruders who will merely break into a house and walk about just for the thrill - guard your drawer of panties!

o

Do you have a metal roof?we read stories where it was suppose to be soldiers (Ghosts) in old house attics.We heard this yes it does sound like that but its the expanding etc of metal roof???Could this be it?

o

Or squirrels running across the roof?

o

There is so many things that could be to blame. A large temp. or humidity difference between night and day might be the cause, and your flooring/woodwork/framing is just relaying the "message".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here