Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refinishing Wood Floors (lead??)

Posted by Caland (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 0:40

We are seriously considering purchasing a home built in 1930. MThe home has hardwood in a hallway, den, and bedroom. It appears to have hardwood under carpet in the living and dining areas as well. The owner, an adult now, grew up in the home and said it was always carpeted as far as she can remember.

My questions (I'm sorry if they are silly/we've never lived in an older home):

1. If I do refinish is there a danger of lead dust from the sanding part of the process? Were wood floors finished with lead in varnish or similar?
2. Can I tell if these are waxed or polyurethane? What would typically be on floors of that era?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refinishing Wood Floors (lead??)

NO lead in varnishes ... lead was used in paint because it made white paint white, cheaply.

You never know what was on them ... probably a varnish, not urethane. You can test it with shellac thinner (alcohol) and laquer thinner in a small spot. If it dissolves

You might be able to "screen" the floor, which is just a light sanding to remove the old finish, then re-finish with a good modern finish.

o

Our floors are older and some were painted around the edge (2-3'). There are 3 different colors of paint. THIS I may worry has lead since my guess this paint was from 1890-1940's. When I had another house tested for lead the inspector told me some stains did contain lead paint (that house had natural woodwork).

o

"lead was used in paint because it made white paint white"
Lead pigment went away a very long time ago.

The most common 'lead' in lead paint is lead acetate 9AKA'sugar of lead' for its sweet taste).

Lead acetate was a dryer an gloss improver, not a pigment.

Lead acetate paint is hard when it dries, so hard that chips can cut skin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here