Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandy523_gw

Okey dokey...help with green exterior paint

sandy523
15 years ago

We live in a 1930 bungalow. At least I think it's a bungalow. Anywho...last summer we were going to paint the exterior but I could never decide on paint. I even came here and some nice people photo shopped paint on my house. I have found a green house picture that I like on here. How would I go to a store and match it up? Is anyone here so good with paint they have an idea? When I print it out the color does not match what I see on my monitor. Lowes said I could email the picture to them but they're monitors may show a totally different color too.

If I can't hurry up and find a color my husband is going to abandon this project since it's two years in the making. Otherwise I am going to go with beige and white and be done with it.

I'll try to post the link to the picture on the internet and post a pic of my house.

Color I like.

Comments (15)

• lucy
    15 years ago

Honestly? There is an upper bodily fluid that the color reminds me of... even though I know others who've used it. I would go for something lighter and prettier.

• sandy523
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Kimkitchy! Actually I found it on Daily Bungalow's blog and photo site. Maybe I should just stick with boring beige and white since I am having so much trouble deciding. I just thought a green would be nice. We have a blue house across from us and a white house beside us.

Lucy I am open to you telling me what colors you would paint it.

• lucy
    15 years ago

Well, you could use a different green - lighter or even fairly dark, with lots of white trim, or a light brown or yellow, as well as white (if you're prepared to paint again relatively soon :-), and/or a light blue though I find that kind of cold and not very interesting. A salmony color (vs bubble gum pink) can look bright and pretty. What you use for trim can make or break a look too, so consider that - you certainly don't always have to use white - a lighter version of whatever color you pick can set it off too. BTW, looking at the picture today, it looks nicer than I remember it being yesterday - maybe the sun was on my screen or something, but the color now looks softer, bluier, so maybe I should have just shut up to begin with.

• arlosmom
    15 years ago

Sandy, I really like the green on that bungalow, but I've always been a green girl. Take a look at Ben Moore kennebunkport green...it's one of their historic colors. We sampled it on our house and really liked it although we ended up going with something else. It looked very "craftsman" which is so appropriate for a bungalow. Monterey white (also BM historic) could be a nice trim color with it. Good luck! I think picking colors is one of the hardest things to do.

• sandy523
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks arlosmom. I will definitely check out those colors. Thanks for the tips and advice everyone. I hope to never have to pick out colors again. I despise it!

• eastgate
    15 years ago

Sherwin Williams' Sage is a pretty green.

• jcin_los_angeles
    15 years ago

There are actually 2 different shades of green on the house, a lighter shade on the shingles on the top, and a darker shade on the siding on the bottom. That's typical for bungalows or any type of Craftsman house. Why not just go to a paint store, look at the colors they have, and buy the tiny samples to paint on the house to see how you like the colors?

Beige and white can be kind of boring. Green sounds lovely.

• vjrnts
    15 years ago

Benjamin Moore's Great Barrington Green. LOVE it.

{{!gwi}}

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

For a bungalow, why not try the Arts & Crafts color palette from Sherwin Williams?
    Ruskin Room Green is gorgeous:
    {{!gwi}}

• calliope
    15 years ago

Oh my yes, go to a paint or home improvement store and look at their displays of coordinating paints. They'll have the trim matches already thought out and suggested.

I don't think you could go too wrong with any one of a number of greens on this. The only green I ever found offensive on a house was one I BOUGHT, lol. It was bright apple green and despite all the really important interior work it needed, painting over that was one of the first things I did. And I painted the whole danged house myself just to get it done.

Your little house is perfect for making a statement with paint. It has very understated basic lines. Nothing wrong with that, but paint and detailing could make a world of difference in making it more interesting and for very little cost.

• sacto_diane
    15 years ago

Sherwin Williams "Weathered Shingle". It's a greenish brown color that will be more green or more brown depending on the lighting, etc. I have it on my bungalow as the body color and I get a lot of complements. It is part of the historical colors pallet - Diane

Here is a link that might be useful: visualizer

• fuzzy
    13 years ago

Hmm. It's been a while back, but I KNOW I posted a picture of our house on this thread. It helped us decide on BM's Great Barrington Green as the main color. (Trim: BM Shaker Beige; Door, BM Country Redwood.)

But it's not here now. That bugs me, so I'm going to repost it and repeat my thanks.

I appreciate all of you that posted pictures and advice on this thread! It helped us choose our colors. LOVE this forum, although I don't visit as regularly as I once did-- too busy working on the house you helped me select!

THANKS!

• powermuffin
    13 years ago

Looks very nice! I love it when we get the followup pictures!
    Diane

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

So Sandy, what did you end up doing? I hope you painted it green! (If one more person paints their house beige in my neighborhood, I'm gonna scream!)
    Kathy