Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can you tell me about the style of this house

Posted by etcsdgb (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 23:53

can some identify this house style. I need to get it painted what can you suggest for a color scheme?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can you tell me about the style of this house

My first instinct is to say white. But off topic, does it look like someone removed larger windows with wide trim and replaced with modern windows at some point? did the missing windows resemble the bottom one on the far right, esp. the top sash? Five windows just doesn't seem right. Intriguing feature on the far left, I feel as though something more was there at one time.

But - interesting house no less.

o

It's difficult without knowing where and when it was built but if the shingles were originally natural red cedar and the trim green it might have been the Shingle Style but more likely Colonial Revival.

o

I too would go with colonial revival, and put it between 1890 and 1910...and the windows aren't altered, 2 over 2 works for this period, and the lower right is an accent window for the entry hall, I'd gather. I could see this easily painted in a yellow with cream trim as in many style-boooks.

o

I love the embellishment under the attic windows, and over the cut-corner on the first floor left. I hope that whatever color scheme you choose, that you highlight those features.

That cut-corner (there may be technical term for it; "cut-corner" is my own purely descriptive term) is somewhat common on houses built in the late 1800s and early 1900s here in Rochester NY.

o

If you don't like yellow, which would be my first choice too, how about a pale green with cream trim? You could add gold or red accents. I would, even though this wouldn't be period, use a darker paint at the roof edge to liven up the roof color.
Diane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here