Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Modernizing an old, deep white porcelain double sink in good shap

Posted by dreamojean (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 23:47

Any suggestions for whether and how to keep an old-line, heavy, white porcelain double sink, in great shape, that's one of those with a metal cover that slides across from one side to the other, and is particularly deep on the left side and less deep but still very adequate on the other, and is really heavy? It's resting on an older metal under-sink cabinet and I don't know if it's too heavy to rest on wooden cabinets or if we should keep the sink/metal cabinet unit and modernize around it - or just let the sink go. I am adding a kitchen back to a brownstone and want stainless steel appliances, probably cream or white cabinets and a modern decor that respects the traditional brownstone details and has a bit of a "country kitchen" aspect to it - in other words, eclectic, and on a budget. I love the old huge white sink but am not seeing how it will fit into this modern kitchen. One person suggested getting a higher end stainless steel faucet to modernize the sink. Any other suggestions? I'd love to hear from others who have figured out how to keep an antique and still end up with a nice design, or who have let the old sink go to make the design work better. Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Modernizing an old, deep white porcelain double sink in good

Pics?

o

Here is a pic of the sink

o

Nice sink. You could easily build a wooden cabinet to fit it, and keep the freestanding look of it.

If the cabinet is 3/4 plywood with appropriate framing around the top and in the corners, it can hold a lot more than that sink.

o

You should get a new sink and give that one to me. Just let me know when you toss it and I'll come get it.

o

I think you could probably augment the structure of any sink cabinet that it would fit it just by beefing up the insides with plywood and 1x4s.
Diane

o

Nice sink.

A new faucet would modernize it nicely.

Then get a cabinet that fit's your design.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here