Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacement Mortise locksets

Posted by fredsoldhouse (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 18, 09 at 23:03

I will soon be replacing some interior doors that do not need to lock. The old doors have mortise locksets with a skeleton key and a face plate about 7” x 2.25”.

Side note: The doors aren’t worth saving. Stripping off the many layers of paint and varnish would be too expensive to send out ( I think over $300 each), too much work to do myself, and the end product would be nothing special. Some old homes were built with high quality items that are worth saving. My old house was build by someone of more modest means.

I would like to keep the old look of these locksets but not spend big $ on new replacements. The existing locksets are quite worn, most of the copper plate has worn off and they have their share of paint on them.

Does anyone know of an inexpensive replica of that style available anywhere. I’d like to believe someone has made up modern lockset that fits in a standard round hole with a faceplate that simulates the old rectangular plate but with a fake keyhole just for looks.

Genuine replacement mortise locksets are too much $$.

I could mortise new doors and install the old locksets but they don’t look nice anymore.

I imagine having them re-plated would also be too much $$.

Any ideas or similar experiences?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacement Mortise locksets

Check Rejuvenation hardware. They should have something that should meet your needs. There are other places as well, but that's one that I've used and been satisfied with.

o
RE: Replacement Mortise locksets

I checked Rejuvenation hardware out. They have some wonderful items. But... at $120-160 each they are more than I would like to afford for this project. Any other sources that are less expensive?
Has anyone tried to send the existing hardware out to be re-plated?
Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here