Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does a pull button doorbell always connect to one of those butler

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 22:25

style bells inside the house? I am building a new old house and love the charm of these, but wondered if the pull button requires a real bell mechanism inside or of it can activate a chime. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does a pull button doorbell always connect to one of those bu

Friends with a '20s Tudor had a pull-button that connected to a lever that pushed a door button about 8-10 up the wall -- so it appeared to be a pull-button, but was actually a standard doorbell with a fancy push apparatus.

o

Many pull buttons are just low voltage electrical switches that activate any low voltage electric bell or chime anywhere in the house. Mine is from 1891.

o

Are you referring to something purely mechanical like mine, or something wired?

There's one for sale at the local salvage place for $150 with all of the components.

Here's the bell apparatus from the inside. The outside is a knob on the left side of the door frame (it's a Baldwin knob I reconfigured to re-use the original post, etc. inside but still be able to match the new door hardware, but it used to be either brass or bronze).

photo DSC_0187-1_zps6dcd9c9d.jpg

o

Kevin, you have the coolest place.

I'd love something like what you've got, Kevin, for our back door, but a regular chime for the front. I'm wondering if I can get a chime activated by a pull-button apparatus instead of a push-button. Maybe that will be awkward for people though. What I really want is something that doesn't seem contemporary. Our exterior hardware is from Rocky Mountain Hardware in a brass-ish color, but made of bronze. It's not the most Georgian thing, but it works with our multipoint system. Anyway, I don't know if I should just get one of theirs, maybe a simple circle or rectangle, or try to find something really cool and historic looking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here