Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone know about antique attic fans?

Posted by kntryhuman (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 28, 09 at 21:55

We were given an old house. I've traced it back as far as 1903 when a Presbyterian Church sold it to an individual. The tax records stop there because it was a tax free entity.

There was an old ventilation fan, no motor, in the attic with this info stamped on it.

Jackson Hi-Volume Fan
Timken Bearing Equipped

Model - VSB4250
Serial - VC425-1294

I'm trying to find out approx. when the fan was made so I can get a better idea of when my house was built.

Here is a link that might be useful: PHOTOS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone know about antique attic fans?

My guess is that fan is post WW II.

I sincerely doubt that a fan would have been installed in the house in 1903. That was really the dawn of electricity, and depending on where your house is located, it might not have had electricity until as late as the 1930s, when the Rural Electrification Association got electricity to a lot of rural areas.

o

Electric probably wasn't even in that house in 1903 so the fan would be a later instal and not be of any use getting the date of the house.

o

What does the brass plate on the motor say? That may have some info on manufacturer, serial number, patent dates.
Casey

o

Cute house! Hope you install a modern attic fan, they are great!
kathy

o

"brass plate"

The use of actual brass (most are aluminum now) would help place it generally to pre-WWII.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here