Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raising Second Story Ceiling

Posted by carringtonf (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 10, 12 at 21:19

I've seen a couple posts on this topic on here so I'd try my luck with my situation. House built in 1860 with a 1940's addition. In the original house, the second story has beautiful 9' ceilings. The addition however is complete crap. The ceilings are 6'6". The attic in the addition is taller than in the original. The roof lines (gable roof) are the same and same construction style as the original.

Would it be possible to pull the floor up in the attic and the ceilings in the second story addition without messing with the roof? The weight of the roof is carried by the exterior walls. I don't mind if the walls have angles towards the top. I'm 6'4" and would like to be able to have a ceiling light without ducking.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raising Second Story Ceiling

Anything is possible ... what you need to do is have a couple of contractors and a structural engineer look at the attic and the walls of the addition to see if it's economically feasible.

o

Were you able to raise the ceiling, and if so what was the cost?

o

In a "stick framed" roof (non-truss), two opposing rafters are tied together at the wall top plate by the ceiling joists. at 4'oc. and this keeps the walls tied together and is called a "carpenters truss."

If this is your situation. there is a fairly easy fix.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here