Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shingled roof needs bigger slope

Posted by petoola (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 20, 10 at 21:15

We have a mobile home with a 12 x 56 addition across the back. The addition roof spans about 20 feet from the peak to the end with a very small slope. My husband has been shoveling the roof every winter but it's a chore he'd like to be done with.

We'd like to put a metal roof on and make the slope much higher so the snow would come off. He's going to extend the new peak out over the peak that is there now, which would give the back the slope it needs. Would he have to take the shingled roof off first or could this be done over the shingled roof? Any tips or suggestions welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shingled roof needs bigger slope

The main thing is if the stucture can support two roofs, though the metal may be lighter than a shingled roof. Is there already a roof under the roof that spans the addition?

I have an old house, it has two roofs in most areas. They would extend a porch on one end and then just build another roof right over the top of the old one. I have "under roofs" that have two layers of ceder shakes and two layers of asphalt shingles.

If I ever did something like that, I would at least strip the under roof. It's been a real pain dealing with things in the attic because of it - but that is because I've been doing lots of stuff up there (running vents and such) that required cutting through the under roof.

Photobucket

BTW- for airflow you may need to cut holes in the under-roof near the top edge so the air will circulate.

Cathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here