Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dating past remuddeling projects

Posted by gordon_2010 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 14, 11 at 20:26

We recently purchased an old Victorian style home, although most of the Victorian personality has been stripped from it over the years. It was built in 1882 and the original owner lived here until 1934. The electric and running water where added sometime in the 20's or 30's with some upgrades done in the mid to late 40's. We are living in it and working on it at the same time so it's a work in progress. Our intentions are to upgrade the mechanical aspects of the house, which we've started to do, and then restore as much of the Victorian charm as possible.

I'm trying to date some of the work that was done in the past and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me when the transition from plaster and lath to wall board/sheetrock occurred? It's my understanding that when wallboard or sheetrock was first used the practice was to install the wall board and then skim it with plaster??? Then in later years it was taped and finished with the drywall compound instead of being skimmed.

We are now in the process of replacing some of the walls that were removed and also replacing the open banister staircase that was removed and closed off (the house was at one time turned into a duplex). As things progress I'll post some pics.

Thanks for any info about the plaster and lath to drywall transition.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dating past remuddeling projects

A system using a 3/8" thick gypsum panel (16"x48") was in use at least by 1930. It was used in place of wooden lath, and received a three-coat finishing system, ending up with a 3/4" thickness. Drywall finished only with taped seams is a bit later, like post war, The adoption was a slow process, and rocklath was only completely phased out within the past 5 years. Veneer plaster systems("blueboard") were introduced in the 50's, and finally surpassed and replaced rocklath as the premium wall finish system. Reducing the time factor is key in every newer system; rocklath was faster to hang that wood lath; Veneer plaster is even faster, as there is no delay needed between the brown coat and the white coat, and of course drywall requires the least time and can probably be accomplished by trained monkeys, from what I see on HGTV ;-)
Casey

o
RE: Dating past remuddeling projects

Casey, thanks for the info! The transition started a lot earlier than I had thought, although I think it may have been a little later here in rural Minnesota. We've also come across what looks like two different types or grades of plaster while removing the many layers of wall paper. Some is somewhat dry and crumbly, as I had expected from old plaster, and the other is hard as concrete.
We are replacing a wall that some PO in the past had removed and patched the plaster where the wall had butted into the remaining wall. We want to remove the patch so as to tie into the studs properly but we're having trouble chiseling out the patch. I'm not so sure they didn't use QuickCrete or SackCrete!
My wife and I got a good chuckle out of your comment about drywall, trained monkeys and HGTV! Nice one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here