Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gordon_2010

Dating past remuddeling projects

gordon_2010
13 years ago

We recently purchased an old Victorian style home, although most of the Victorian personality has been stripped from it over the years. It was built in 1882 and the original owner lived here until 1934. The electric and running water where added sometime in the 20's or 30's with some upgrades done in the mid to late 40's. We are living in it and working on it at the same time so it's a work in progress. Our intentions are to upgrade the mechanical aspects of the house, which we've started to do, and then restore as much of the Victorian charm as possible.

I'm trying to date some of the work that was done in the past and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me when the transition from plaster and lath to wall board/sheetrock occurred? It's my understanding that when wallboard or sheetrock was first used the practice was to install the wall board and then skim it with plaster??? Then in later years it was taped and finished with the drywall compound instead of being skimmed.

We are now in the process of replacing some of the walls that were removed and also replacing the open banister staircase that was removed and closed off (the house was at one time turned into a duplex). As things progress I'll post some pics.

Thanks for any info about the plaster and lath to drywall transition.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company