Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pier & Beam Foundation

Posted by saroven (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 11, 09 at 20:11

Hello!

We are in escrow on a 1910 house in Southern California. We just have the home inspection done and the report came back saying:

"Raised-pier construction. Sub-floor access is located on the
left. Home is not bolted to the foundation. Cracks and
deteriorating sill plates noted at stem walls. Some piers are not
set on concrete footings. Deteriorating wood framing and
sagging sub flooring observed. Water stains noted at the
kitchen and bathroom floor sheathing. Corrosion noted at the
plumbing supply lines, no leaks observed at the time of inspection"

Now the over $200k question is - is it worth moving forward on this house? We are still in the home inspection continguency period, so can get out relatively easily.

Any guesstimates on cost to fix/stabilize the foundation?

(this house also needs a new roof and siding, but that's a whole other story)

ANY & ALL help would be VERY much appreciated!!!

Thanks much!
LC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pier & Beam Foundation

I'd get a couple estimates. Long time ago I bought a house that had plenty of issues but an estimate came along with the inspection, inspector did work also. The cost was less than I thought it might be when we heard about the issues. It might be worth your time to see if you can get a couple contractors out to give an estimate. You can work with the seller possibly depending on what the repairs might cost if you want to try.

o

Thank you! I completely agree. I have 2 guys coming out tomorrow, and just put in a request with a company that specializes in foundations (we'll see if they get back to me) The house does have a slight tilt, and the porch floor bows, as well as the living room.

The ultimate cause is most likely: age (100 yo) and improper water drainage from the roof. Oh, and possibly termite (we are still waiting for the report)

We just don't want to move into the money pit.

The unknown is the scary part! It could be a relatively simple, inexpensive fix, or it could be very costly. We have til Friday - only 1 full day - to make our decision before we're locked in, so it's a mad scramble. We only got the home inspection done yesterday and report came today, with more details.

It's a REO, so negotiation may not be an option.

Thank you again - and any other thoughts are appreciated.
All the best,
LC

o

In this market - especially in socal - I wouldn't rush into any purchase that you had big questions about. There are just so many houses out there selling at deeply discounted rates. If you can't get reasonable estimates for the repairs you know about, then you should move on to the next property. Foundation, framing, water damage , plumbing - those all have the potential to be huge unknown costs.

By any chance, did the inspector specialize in older homes? Often times, inspectors that are used to looking at new houses are well versed in modern building codes, but don't know a lot about the safety (or lack there of) of older building methods.

o

Were older homes ever set on concrete footings or bolted to the foundation? I don't think any of the houses that I've lived in have been.

Can you let us know what the foundation expert says about cost and difficulty of repair?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here