Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
historic stucco

Posted by jamesavenue (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 6, 08 at 19:40

We have a 1926 Tudor house that has cedar shakes covering up the original stucco. Has anyone had to repair true stucco - not sto or its various incarnations. I want so much to rip the shingles off and fix the stucco underneath but DH rolls his eyes every time I bring it up. Am I getting into more trouble than this is worth?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: historic stucco

Our home had a "real" stucco job back in '03. It's the true old fashioned stucco, and not the new stuff. Given that our house is very imposing and that the stucco had to go on over an existing 75 year old stucco job over 175 year old bricks, we had it done professionally. The company said, had the original stucco not been painted, they wouldn't have had to face the entire structure in chicken wire. It was the paint job making this necessary.

Was it cheap? OMGosh no. Was it worth it? OMGosh yes. I think I understand how you feel about restoring the original stucco. I think I'd want to do the same thing. I have seen other Tudors with the stucco and it's a very classy look. If the job is done well......a very long term solution. The stucco job before this one lasted 75 years on our house. SEVENTY FIVE YEARS!

o

Calliope, I've read your posts about your house with growing interest; do you have a photo album somewhere? I'm more and more curious about your place! It sounds wonderful!

o

I have gazillions of shots here there and everywhere. My computer literally burnt up a month ago and thankfully the data drive on which most of them were stored was salvaged. One of these days I'll post some pics to an album. It's a very basic, real live federal house. Not fancy at all, as it was the home of a prosperous farmer from Virigina, transplanted to the wilderness of the "new" west. And, it lay in disrepair many years. A modern home would have crumbled. It is true that they don't build them like they used to. What an adventure!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here