Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blow in insulation-how much

Posted by victory_tea2085 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 4, 10 at 19:05

Our house (1880) has 2 br's and a bath upstairs- we gutted it! Now I need to know what is the optimum amount of blow in insulation to put in the attic area. I live in central Ny. Thanks; Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blow in insulation-how much

Use lowes, get 20 bags, they give you the machine for the day. Bring back what you don't use.

o

Love the precision in the above post!

The US Department of Energy provides this calculator by Zip Code.

This calculator shows payback period, ie. how long it takes the savings to equal the initial outlay.

Dr. Lstiburek of Building Science Corp. recommends minimum R60 in attics anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon line.

As important as insulating is sealing all entries between the attic and house.

o

You should put in at least the recommended R value for your region.

If you are DIY, there will be a sign right next to the bags that says x inches = R whatever. There are several different types of blown in insulation and they have different R values per inch.

If you pay a professional, they will do the calculation for you. We recently took this route and consider it money well spent. It was only a couple hundred more than doing it ourselves.

o

As someone who has spent the better part of two weekends removing blown in insulation in my attic...by all means, make sure you seal off any gaps first.
I found my kitchen soffits were totally exposed up in my attic and were right next to an outside wall where cold air was pouring in.

o

The question really can not be answered on a forum. That's why I answered it the way I did. If they buy 10 bags they need to rent the machine. If they get 30 bags and only use 20 they have to transport and purchase all the extra material. For DIYers 20 bags will be enough for them. If they need more they can go back and get some the same day.
Its not rocket science.

o

gzec- I found your original post VERY helpful, thanks.
Paul

o

I'm getting ready to add more insulation to my attic.

It's 680 square feet. I'm in Northern Virginia.

My calculations are that I'll need between 55 and 65 bags of insulation to bring me up to R-50.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here