Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What style of house is this?

Posted by wwarren14 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 14, 11 at 18:45

My wife and I are looking at a house, and I was curious as to what architectural style people seem to think it is. It was built in 1920, and we have (with our obscenely limited architectural knowledge) decided it is a Dutch Colonial Revival. However, there are parts of it that aren't at all consistent with that style and are more bungalow-esque.

So I would like to know what everyone thinks about this, or if anyone has any suggestions of where I can better find out what it is.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What style of house is this?

Here's the link to the picture:

Here is a link that might be useful: House

o

It has the massing and _piano nobile_ siting more akin to Shingle style. I don't see an actual gambrel rood there, just a clipped gable and a wide shed dormer.
Dutch colonials do not usually have such porches, either.
I would like to see clearer pics, but I would say Classical revival/late Victorian/shingle.
Casey

o

it isn't so far off from a crafstman bungalow because of the dormer over the porch - BUT, the rounded porch columns, the height (2 1/2+ stories), the flat dormer, and the (half?) gambrel roof show strong shingle (particularly the size) and dutch colonial (columns, flat dormer) influences IMO. around 1920 crafstman bungalow and colonial styles were being built, so this type of combo makes sense. i'm wondering what kind of houses are in the rest of the neighborhood.

o

Thanks for your responses. I will provide clearer pictures when I can snap a few in my off time.

The rest of the neighborhood is predominately Colonial and Tudor. There are also a couple of Georgians and Bungalows and there is also one true dutch colonial.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here