Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wondering if the age of this house is incorrect?

Posted by tinker_2006 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 30, 11 at 18:25

I'll post the link to the video at the end, but we are buying this home, which is listed as a 1955 home. Updates, room additions and other things have been done during its lifetime. I have lived in several old homes, and to me, this homes features appear older...

- heart pine floors (I think - does that what they look like?)

- crystal door knobs

- lights in closets operate with a string

and a few other things. I'll be back over there tomorrow as they are doing the inspection, and I'm going to take more pictures.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wondering if the age of this house is incorrect?

Wow, it has closet lights?! No kidding, no lights in my closets, period...none in the back bedroom at all. It has about six wall-mounted plugs connected by wire mold, but that's it.

Crystal knobs could be more likely from the 30s on up...earlier knobs were usually metal or porcelain.

The video will tell more once you post it. Pine floors not necessarily older--I grew up in a ranch built in 1959 and it had pine floors.

o

Oh.. forgot to post the video!

Also, what I do know.. is that the kitchen once was a porch, or part of it was.. the floor is higher in that section,, and at the side door, we can see that it was added to the top of the porch flooring.

Here is a link that might be useful: house video

o

My townhouse was built in 1979, and the closets that have lights (as well as the pantry) have string pull lights.

Why?

Because my house was built by Drunken Monkey Cheap Home Builders, Inc., and putting lights on pull strings in the closets was faster and cheaper than wiring in switches.

o

Why not just do a deed search and then you would know. Or in our case, find out when they turned the water on, check the library for old address books. Our house was listed incorrectly in the country records because the records were distroyed at some point. But the water records were intact and the library had on address books so we could find the exact date.
Diane
The proportions of the windows and the doos in the bath say older to me. But that certainly isn't definitive.
Diane

o

I plan on doing a deed search, and I will check out the library too!

I found out more info yesterday, it is most likely 1920-1930. Seems that here is our county, at one time (in the 50's) if you modified an exterior wall, they often would change the original date of the house!

Here is a link to the update info and more pictures I took yesterday!

Here is a link that might be useful: old house

o

I posted the floor layout of this house!

Here is a link that might be useful: Floor Plan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here