Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cracks on the outside stucco of 1939 built house

Posted by lamac (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 18:06

Hi
There are some cracks in the parts of the front section of the house.

some of the deck seems to have movement ,i am not sure if this is more cosmetic or structural foundation problem possibly.
I had someone look at the bricks on the deck and he said that was more cosmetic.

i want to put in a few pics and maybe someone on here may be able to help me
Thanks in advance

i will be adding the pictures in an hour or two.

by the way this is our first purchase ,we haven't bought it yet but we are inspecting now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cracks on the outside stucco of 1939 built house

What direction do the cracks run in, and where are they from? This makes a big difference in deciding structural vs. not.

o
RE: Cracks on the outside stucco of 1939 built house

I'm not a structural engineer, but if the cracks are indeed cosmetic, it's an easy fix. Minor cracks in the stucco seem as common and unavoidable as cracks in a plaster wall. They are not difficult nor expensive to fix, an easy Saturday afternoon DIY. Buy a bag of stucco mix, mix according to package directions, and be sure to spritz the cracked area with water before applying new stucco--the old stucco will draw the water out of the new stucco and compromise it if you don't. Good luck--I hope it's just a minor thing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here