Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fixing a bad paint job in old house

Posted by SharonS1233 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 18:06

We live in a 1900 farmhouse for 2 years now. The PO had the entire interior painted right before listing it. Problem... the idiots that call themselves "painting contractors" painted the ENTIRE interior; walls, ceilings, doors, trim, kitchen, bath, stairs (back of treads) with a flat latex paint...directly over oil base LEAD with NO primer on any of it. Now I'm the one that has to fix this mess!! I will try to attach photos. All the rooms, with the bathroom being the worst, is cracking, bubbling up, peeling, chipping, etc.
How do I fix it w/out scrapping & sanding because of the lead paint underneath? I was told that the lead paint is probably 2 layers underneath.
Do I use the Zinsser Peel Stop... Zinsser Peel Stop triple thick? The guy at Sherwin Williams said just to use a good oil base primer and then spackle all the uneven areas where's it chipped off. Unfortunately, I think I'd end up spackling my entire bathroom! lol
Please help with suggestions!!!
~Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fixing a bad paint job in old house

cracking, chipping, peeling, etc in bathroom

o

Another pic

o

Google is your friend. Check the link and search for others.

Here is a link that might be useful: latex over oil

o

Those look like plaster cracks, not paint cracks (especially the last one).

Latex goes over oil just fine with proper prep.

The first step is a thorough cleaning.

Washing before painting walls seems to have become to 'old fashioned.'

It actually works.
Even with primers designed to stick better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here