Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (26)

• aprilwhirlwind
    18 years ago

It's Tudorish!
    Tudor came into vogue in America around 1900 and quite a few Tudor styled houses were built in the 1920's and 30's. Your's looks like it was built in the 30's to me.

• rachel37
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That's what I've always thought -- it's the "ish" that got me. No dark beams anywhere, in fact, it's pretty light inside (white moldings everywhere). You were close on the date; it was built in 1926. Thanks for the response.

• aprilwhirlwind
    18 years ago

Glad to be of help. About half of the Tudor style houses built in America have no half-timbering or interior beams or any of that stuff. They were built to sort of mimic or echo the shape of medieval houses. They just have a pleasing shape to them. Many were decorated in a Colonial revival style inside. Colonial was HOT in the 20's and 30's if you look at home and women's magazines of the period.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    18 years ago

Hi,
    A "Period House" of the "English Cottage" persuasion. The designers were seeking to evoke a cozy, slightly more conventional, and definitely less intellectually demanding look than Arts & Crafts bungalows, which were fading from fashion in the late twenties. They, in turn, had been a reaction from the very florid and ornamental (some would say historically unhinged) late Victorian styles that fizzled around 1900. And so on and so on.
    Casey

• rachel37
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Interesting. So what does this all mean for interior decor -- i.e., what would the interior of a period house of the english cottage persuasion look like? The previous owner had floral and velvet, metallic flocked wallpaper everywhere, with long, yellowed, floor to ceiling drapes. We did away with all that, but my windows are still bare. Thanks!

• aprilwhirlwind
    18 years ago

Most of today's magazines, books and websites don't show how people REALLY furnished their homes. They show what the rich and the avant garde were doing, not what regular folks put into their living rooms.
    Magazines of the period often showed chintz, the "Williamsburg" look, a sort of English country house look. You can get good ideas from watching some movies from the period, more particularily light weight comedic films. People watched them and were influenced by what they saw on the screen just as they are now, and what was on screen reflected what people liked at the time, same as now.
    I enjoy reading old home decorating and women's magazines from the 20's through the 50's. I don't find them as often as I used to.
    Here's a site from the Minnesota Historical Society that's fun. You can type into the box whatever you're looking for, like "living rooms", "kitchens", ballgames, etc., then put in the years you want it to search through. It will then pop up with photos that fit what you're looking for.
    http://collections.mnhs.org/visualresources/search.cfm?bhcp=1

I've got a few pictures of late 20's and 1930's rooms in one of my WEBSHOTS albums. There are several copies of ads there.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/231907764HLGbfS

• mikend
    18 years ago

I have what I would consider a "Tudor-ish" house (mid 1920s), with some arts and crafts and colonial features. It is all brick, with no stucco or half timbering, it has a slate roof with steep roof lines, rounded front door, very tall stone chimney and ornamental wrought iron. There are no beams at all inside. Some of the baseboards and window and door frames are stained dark, while all of the crown molding and some of the baseboards are painted white (not sure if this was originally stained and then painted or painted later- would they have painted the crown molding white and stained the baseboards?).

I will try to post some pictures later on.

• aprilwhirlwind
    18 years ago

For sure Tudorish. I could show you picture after picture of houses from 20's and 30's....all brick or brick and stucco, no timbering, steep roof lines, rounded doorways, tall chimney, often right up the front. I always liked them.
    As for the contrasting crown and baseboard....I haven't seen such an example, but houses belong to individuals who each put their own stamp on a place. It may be original, or not, dunno. It's certainly practical.

• lazy_gardens
    18 years ago

Rachel -
    The "Tudor-ish" house looks good with anything except "screaming modern" ... Victorian, shabby chic, arts and crafts, art nouveau, colonial, Ralf Lauren "country".

They aren't formal and rigid.

• rachel37
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone!

• hostaguy
    18 years ago

They also call them "Stockbroker Tudor's" due to the Stock market boom and housing boom of the 20's

Your house is really great example.

I have a 1928 Tudor much like yours and simply love it's unique style. It's a mishmash of Colonial, Bungalow, and a hint of Craftsman. Mine is cedar shingled, not brick, but they're are a ton of different styles of Tudors, all very unique.

kennebunker....
    I enjoy looking at the old 20's magazines too! I've had a really hard time finding photographs of everyday interiors of the 20's - most are overdone in the magazines. Old Movies sound like a cool place to look, thanks for the ideas.
    I have some really cool "better homes and gardens" and "Delineator" Delineator Mags are very graphical and cool, showing amazing garb and ads from the 20's.

• spewey
    18 years ago

Not Tudor properly, but rather English cottage revival, as characterized by the steep double pediments facing the street, the battered (angled) inset chimney, the fenestration and the corbeled surrounds.

True Tudor Revivial would have utilized four or five point arches, some timbering, and faux details expressing braced frame construction.

Lovely house, and thanks for sharing it with us.

• whitevenetino
    17 years ago

I call mine a Cotswold Cottage (not sure, spewey if that is accurate, however){{gwi:12642}}
    by whitevenetino

• vjrnts
    17 years ago

whitevenetino, your house looks like it would fit into my area very well, and we're both in NY. I'm in Rochester, are you close?

There are a few Rochester-area posters on this old house forum. We should all meet at a Starbucks someday!

• whitevenetino
    17 years ago

No, I'm not-- I'm in an NYC suburb . . . .

• leosmom
    17 years ago

Whitevenetino, love your beautiful house.
    Chris

• whitevenetino
    17 years ago

Thank you, Chris. It is actually like a little cottage to me.

• lhf79
    17 years ago

Rachel37...do you have any interior photos to share? Our houses look very similar on the exterior. Mine has brown brick. Mine is also severely "remuddled" inside. I am trying to find pictures of others' tudorish homes to see what direction we should go in as we begin undoing the damage.

• whitevenetino
    17 years ago

I think we may have communicated already about my kitchen, but I will post some additional shots of what I have done with mine so far . . . .{{!gwi}}
    by whitevenetino

{{!gwi}}
    by whitevenetino{{!gwi}}
    by whitevenetino

• Fori
    17 years ago

In my neighborhood (late 20s Ford Motor boom homes), the Tudor revivals are mixed in with colonial revivals. The interiors are identical--well, stylewise. (No two Tudors seem to have the same floorplan.) The interiors are pretty much craftsmanish/typical late 20s style: coved ceilings in the public rooms, darker woodwork, oak floors. They aren't super fancy homes so the Tudorness stops at the funky arched door and they become pure 1928 inside. I've been wanting to go art deco, actually, but just haven't gotten around to it--leaks first, ya know?

The more expensive homes do have the Tudor look inside, but it wouldn't really be accurate or practical to add it to a home that didn't have it already (but it would be fun to do some). It seems around here that the larger, more expensive homes had the beams and stuff inside, not just because it was more expensive to do, but because most of these homes aren't as large as they look and that Tudor business could really cramp a room.

I think it is possible that your woodwork was always painted, but it may just as well have been stained. You may not want to go totally historically correct--if you saw the original paint color in my living room...ewwww that must have been a depressing place in the winter.

• rennauross_hotmail_com
    17 years ago

Here's my "stockbroker tudor" (in Rochester, NY), built 1928.

Half the houses in my neighborhood are tudor/cotswold revival and half are colonial revival. They mostly have similar late-20's colonial style interiors, although some of the finer examples of tudor have panelling, beamed ceilings, rough-plastering, and planked floors.

They're total Ford homes, with two-car attached garages.

I totally agree with the sentiment that any funky old style will look good. You'll be fine as long as you stay away from 50's mod or Ikea / Danish Modern / Scandanavian.

Here's our living room, decorated with castoff stuff. Two kids leave little room in the decorating budget! We ended up with a "second-hand eclectic" style...

A different angle:

Sadly, the trim and french doors were ripped out of the downstairs during a 1950's remuddling. The stark flat white paint is a gift from the previous owners, who used rollers to spread it from 5-gallon buckets that they bought at Mr. Second's...

Many of the colonial interiors of the era have ornate interior trim that was originally painted. You'd have a devil of a time stripping. Too, it will never look right because they would have used a lesser wood.
    We weren't aware of this when we moved in, but the upstairs of our house is trimmed in mahogany (carelessly slathered with thick white paint, of course.) We're slowly stripping it. No lead paint, so far!

The master bedroom and nursery:

Oooh, mahogany:

I guess for decorating, I'd say just keep your eyes open. When you see something you like, buy it. Don't think you'll come back later. Either you won't, or it will be gone.
    We got our buffet, some tables, chairs, etc, from garbage piles, so really keep your eyes open!

• vjrnts
    17 years ago

Mike, where in Rochester are you? We're in Browncroft, and there are a few other Rochester-area folks who participate in this forum.

Rochester's a good town for nice old houses.

• berry121
    15 years ago

We have want to remodel this home, however we are unsure of the style- midcentry split, split level, or midcentry modern? Any advice is appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

Way to hijack a thread. Start a new topic, and/or post a picture bigger than a postage stamp.
    Casey

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

If you put the URL in the link box people don't have to cut and paste to see it.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• gardeningmomof5
    11 years ago

I know this is an old thread. But the link kennebunker provided is great! And I thought it would be useful for those who haven't read this thread, and wanted to get an idea of how their home may have looked.