Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Central Vac in an old house

Posted by young-gardener (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 6, 11 at 17:26

Has anyone added central vac to their home? I'm wondering where you found room forthe unit since closets are at a premium in old homes. We have no basement. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Central Vac in an old house

Have you had a central vac before?

I'm sure it's all a matter of preference, but I used to clean houses and I only cleaned one with a central vac and I despised that thing. I would have much preferred to lug a regular vacuum all over the house.

o

If you have an attached garage, the unit could go there. I've not had one, but I think the piping is pvc--it could be run in chimney chases from floor to floor, or in a stud bay. If you have a crawlspace, the pipes could go there.
Personally, I wouldn't be fond of dragging 30' of hose behind me to vacuum. I'll stick with my 1958 Kirby, and my Royal 1940s hand vac for the stairs. :)

o

I currently use a canister vac, but I grew up with central vac. It was the "long hose" variety, but they now have ones that allow you to pull out just the amount you need from the wall. THe problem is that I have no garage for the main unit. The piping wouldn't be a problem really because we're reworking our walls soon and could rough it in then, but I need somewhere to put the motor/filter combo. Our house is small, so two outlets would be plenty.

o

The only option I see then, is to place it in a centrally located closet. You will lose space, but it seems you really want one.
If the house is really that small, I don't see the need, unless there is a physical liability which makes a central vac an easier option. Modern vacuums are much lighter now and would probably take up less space than a central unit.

Just occurred to me--if you think a central vac doesn't need to be emptied, you are wrong. :) I'd think it would be a bigger task than a regular vacuum since the container is so much larger.

o

When (if) my miele dies I'm getting a backpack hepa unit. I've never used central vac but I imagine backpack would be nearly as convenient, and take up much less space. There's reason all the pro cleaners use backpack vacs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here