Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
basement completion

Posted by Jana_Fara (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 17:19

Our house was built in 1909 and amazingly has a pretty large basement. The basement had some previous water issues which has been dealt with and now dry for the past three years.

We are going to start working on the basement to finish it and have two young kids. It is not painted so I don't think I need to worry about lead. Is this correct?

Our furnace is downstairs and we still might need it. The contractor said that is won't be a problem because the return air in on the main level and we are sealing off the basement. I just don't want my kids (or any of us) getting exposed to any molds or possible lead. Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: basement completion

Unless you're sanding old paint, airborne lead is not likely to be a problem. (However, lead was in solder until the late '80s, so run your water taps a minute after they have been off for three hours.)

But large amounts of airborne moulds, if they're present, could be a problem due to the Stack Effect. Warm air rises, so in the winter especially, up to half the air you're breathing comes from your basement.

sealing off the basement.

Unless this includes foaming the entire basement ceiling and somehow sealing off all the supply and return pipes and the furnace itself, you're not truly sealing off the basement.

Keeping your basement's relative humidity below 50% with a dehumidifier should be all you need to keep mould growth in check. Properly sealing and insulating the rim joists will help greatly, too, by cutting down the infiltration of warm humid air in summer and preventing condensation in winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stack Effect

This post was edited by worthy on Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 15:30

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here