Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcmarsh_gw

Can anyone help identify this glass light bowl?

mcmarsh
12 years ago

I found this in the cellar under the house. We believe our house dates to the early 20s (unsure of exact year). Has anyone seen a glass fixture bowl like this before. At first glance it sort of looks art nouveau.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments (7)

• mcmarsh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

...and then again it could not be old at all. My husband thinks it is junk and probably 15 years old :)

• chibimimi
    12 years ago

Well, the style is right for the '20s. But the paint job is really poorly done. This style shade is being reproduced, but even the modern ones show a little more finesse in the color application. Is it possible someone took a genuine old shade and added the paint?

What does the open end look like? Is the glass there thick or thin? Does it look like a finished edge or like it's been cut?

• lindac
    12 years ago

It's old....1920's or 30's. And I don't believe it's painted it looks cased to me.

• mcmarsh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah, it is not painted. It kind of fades...the blue color. It might be hard to see with this particular picture. I really like it. I'm not so sure that I would like that particular design on a light fixture...but I do like to look at it. Not sure what I can or will do with it.

• chibimimi
    12 years ago

My mistake -- perhaps it's the photograph or my monitor, but it honestly looks like someone taped a piece of cardboard around the middle, then lightly spray-painted the top and bottom in blue! The cased glass I've usually seen is not so sharply demarcated and follows the pattern better. But, as I said, it could just be my monitor.

• Alesia O
    3 years ago

It’s definitely old.