Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Porch Roof Repair

Posted by davemd1820 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 16:33

Hello folks- I need some advice on how to repair or replace a front porch roof on a house built in 1893. This roof has a slight pitch, & hips, which direct the water to valleys which terminate at two drains in the front corners. These drains connect to two downspouts. There are no gutters.

This seems a poor design to me. Should I repair it or rebuild it to a conventional design using shingles & gutters? Thanks for any feedback.

-Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos

This post was edited by davemd1820 on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 16:34

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Porch Roof Repair

Maybe try the Home Repair Forum ... adding link. We don't have gutters either but are thinking of adding them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Repair Forum

o

Dave, there's nothing wrong with it--it's a built-in gutter. Just keep the downspouts clear so the water drains out. Adding modern k-style gutters will ruin the lines of the porch and not really improve drainage.

Make sure the roofing is in good shape and properly flashed, and you are fine. It's actually a very elegant design. My turn-of-the-century house still has its wooden box gutters which are fine, while my neighbor's house had hers removed and replaced with modern--it took about 2-3 feet off her soffit width, and I'm sure there is a bigger problem with water near the foundation than I have.

o

It doesn't have enough slope to have shingles. If you replace the roofing it should be a fully-adhered single-ply membrane of some kind.

o

The gutter system is fine.

Tear off the old roll roofing and install an EPDM roof.

Some facia work will be involved.

Just use a roofer who knows what he's doing to tie the drains in.

Hint: He won't be the cheapest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here