Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

I found my Magnolia!!!

rosemaryt
14 years ago

For 10 years, I've tooled around the country, looking hither and yon for Sears Homes, and always looking for that elusive and rare Sears Magnolia, the creme de la creme of Sears Homes.

According to some very old, and very unreliable information, there were only six Sears Magnolias built. Period. There were five known Magnolias (Pennsylvania. Ohio, Indiana, Alabama and Nebraska). The Magnolia in Nebraska burned down many years ago.

And then a few days ago, some dear soul in North Carolina sent me a link to a story on Sears Homes. The house featured in the piece was a SEARS MAGNOLIA in central North Carolina. I hopped in my car for a quick day trip to North Carolina and here's what I found!

Isn't this a beauty???

And then while passing through Raleigh, I found this little sweet thing. Kind of the other end of the spectrum, but it's a real cutie!!!

Rose

Here is a link that might be useful: My Maggie in NC

Comments (13)

• lsst
    14 years ago

How wonderful for you!
    In your link you mentioned a Magnolia in SC.
    What city is it in? The design looks so familiar and I live in SC.
    TIA

• User
    14 years ago

Ahh, I was just discussing the Sears Kit Homes with a friend yesterday. I think the old house sitting on her river property is one of those kits. I lived in it for about a year before Hurricane Katrina. It survived Katrina, but the house we bought did not.

If I can provide a picture of her house I'll upload it and get your opinion on whether is is a real Sears kit.
    However, the Magnolia is surely the top of the line, as you say. It is gorgeous.

Do you live in a Sears Kit now?

• lsst
    14 years ago

I found the one in SC. I thought it looked familiar.
    It is the house used in the nursing home scene in the Nicholas Sparks movie -The Notebook.

• rosemaryt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Actually, that house used in the Nursing Home scene (with the blue shutters) is not a Sears Magnolia. These houses are very rare and were only built from 1918-1922.

I wish these Hollywood folks would do a little research before throwing those claims around!

Oh well.

• 66and76
    14 years ago

Oh, what a lovely home! You must have been so excited to tour the interior. Do you have any pictures?

I recently purchased the book, Houses By Mail: A Guide to Houses from Sears, Roebuck and Company by Katherine Cole Stevenson and H. Ward Jandl. Page 285 shows the floor plan of The Magnolia. Thanks for the photograph of the actual house. I printed a copy and placed it in my book for reference.

• ledaanne
    14 years ago

Rosemaryt, where in Alabama? I live in SE Al. and I believe there is one in my hometown.

• rosemaryt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can't tell you how many emails I get from people who think they've found a magnolia! There are only six known Magnolias in the country, and heretofore, we've found five of them. Just one is missing...

:)

Here is a link that might be useful: how to identify a Sears kit home

• User
    13 years ago

RosemaryT, where in Alabama is the Magnolia? I'd hesitate to say it looks familiar, because there are so many lovely homes of that style in Mobile.

Thank you for the link in the post above. It is a fascinating reference.

• rosemaryt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Another Magnolia in Canton, Ohio. This is an old photo (slide film) so the quality isn't as good, but isn't she a beauty!

Here is a link that might be useful: Maggy in Canton

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I just found this, while I was researching 1920's gardens. I knew I'd seen something on this forum about Magnolia, but I hadn't read the post. It's a beautiful home, so I've included the site, so people can see the floorplan.

The Hathaway is much smaller, but very cute :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Magnolia and other Sears homes

• rosemaryt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting that this should rise to the top - again.

I just found my EIGHTH Magnolia in Northern West Virginia so that is a VERY exciting find!!!

And - AND - I now have excellent photos of the Sears Magnolia that was torn down in 1985 in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Here is a link that might be useful: To see interior photos of the Sears Magnolia in Lincoln, click here.

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

Ooooh. Congratulations, Rosemary! I've been a fan of your articles and books and followed you on the forums for years - how fun to find another Magnolia!

• rosemaryt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BTW, here's the Magnolia in Piedmont, Alabama. It's on the main drag through the tiny town, just across from the Fire Station.