Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningmomof5

Style of house and why two doors?

gardeningmomof5
12 years ago

This is shortly after we bought the house, clearly it needs a TON of work. I hope I get the picture to post correctly

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/trendylittleangels/?action=view&current=Defaultpicx.jpg

Comments (15)

• gardeningmomof5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lets try this again

Here is a link that might be useful:

• columbusguy1
    12 years ago

This is the house:

Not having more information as to the interior layout--is it possible the house is a double? Is there a dividing wall between the two doors which extends through the entire house--and two stairways?

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

I bet someone remuddled it into a double; the upper windows don't look right. There's only 1 chimney & it doesn't look large enough for multiple flues but maybe it wasn't built for fireplaces.

• gardeningmomof5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ugh, posted a lengthy reply, and it's not showing up???

• gardeningmomof5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll sum it up I guess lol. There is no sign that the house was ever a double, that was my first thought also. Chimney is a little small, there used to be a wood burner in the basement, and I *think* our bedroom. There are 4 rooms down and up, no foyer. Staircase is on the east side of the house.

• gardeningmomof5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

One thing I always thought was odd. We have a full basement, but down the middle is a brick block wall, and the second half has a step up, which makes the other half of basement about 6 or 8 inches higher.

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

I've seen many houses with two doors in the front.

1 - For someone who saw patients or clients at home, it was an external entrance to their office.

2 - When taking in boarders was common, it gave the boarder a private entrance.

• gardeningmomof5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The door on the right is one we put in, but both doors were identical and trim around it as well, which leads me to believe they were both original when it was built in 1910. Also, both rooms that the doors enter into are almost identical. We have to a few elderly people in town who remember families who have lived in this house. The oldest memory would be from a women who was friends with a child who lived here. This would have been the 30's. She said the family had FIFTEEN children, and she remembers stacks of dishes in the sink every time she came over lol. Another woman I talked to actually live here from the fifties to seventies. It was her parents who painted the whole house green and pink, with grass green carpet!

• gardeningmomof5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

BTW, thank you Columbusguy for posting my pic :) I'm guessing you are from Ohio? We are in NE Ohio... Amish country

• columbusguy1
    12 years ago

You were on the right track with putting it in--when you highlight the pic in photobucket, several options come up showing codes--pick the html one by copying it, then paste that into the text of your post.
    Yes, I'm in Columbus...been to Amish country once or twice with friends, probably 35 years ago--went I think to New Berlin? Went to a store there which carried all sorts of gadgets for use by the Amish--I picked up an apple peeler/corer which clamps onto my counter!

• bookmom41
    12 years ago

I'll bite. This type of home is very common in southeast/southcentral PA and was a style especially used by German immigrants, often referred to as Pennsylvania Dutch. One door opened into the formal parlor, used for receiving guests; the other opened into a room used by the family. I lived in one where the "remuddle" took it from two doors down to one central front door. I don't know if the builders of your home were influenced by this style or not.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pennsylvania German two door farmhouse

• dirt_cred
    12 years ago

Hey gardeningmom - my kids & I vacationed in Ashtabula last May, on the shore of Lake Erie in a little house with chickens in residence.

columbusguy - that was Lehman's you went to, I bet. I insisted on that as a day trip and enjoyed seeing it after shopping their catalog & website for years.

Highlights of the trip - which was about hanging with the fam more than anything, the weather wasn't wonderful - were a tour of covered bridges with their fascinating construction, and trips to Chagrin Falls (for the name alone) and to Wegman's in Erie - the best grocery store ever!

• gardeningmomof5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We are close to Pa, maybe 45 min drive. My hubby is German, both his parents were amish, so rather fitting we have a dutch German house lol. Chagrin falls is beautiful! Cram packed with historic homes :)

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

They must have liked doors,My house is unusal that the back half is attatched summer kitchen,they usually arent attatched,I had in the ,what was the kitchen,now dining room. 4 doors in one room plus 5 windows.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

another reference

Here is a link that might be useful: two doors