Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karinl_gw

Wall liner for problem walls

karinl
11 years ago

I have mentioned on another thread that I recently discovered using wall liner paper on a lumpy beadboard/TiG wall that I have been looking at with hatred in my heart for nearly 20 years. I am not normally a person who covers problems, but sometimes there is no alternative, in either the short or the long term.

The liner paper that I was using was by Blonder "TBC 5002 Prepasted Heavy Duty Wall-Liner" and I was thrilled with it. It is so firm and stiff that it smooths out lumps nicely and it was a piece of cake to work with. It has a translucent look that is bearable, even attractive, even before you do any painting or wallpapering over it.

I had only mail-ordered one roll from a mail order source that has, I think, since been sold to a larger company, and since mailordering to Canada is a pain, I thought I would check around locally for liner paper. None of the paint/wallpaper stores carried it, but I found some at Home Depot. This was "Graham Brown Wall Liner and Ceiling Paper."

This latter product I found to be far inferior. It is not stiff and follows the lumps and valleys rather than smoothing them over.

The Blonder paper is so stiff it gets creases in it when you roll it backward to cycle it through the water in the tray, but these are not a problem long term. Also, it DOES require priming before wallpaper edges will stick down on top of it.

So, I highly recommend the Blonder product; but not just any liner paper. I am hoping desperately that they still make this product as I launch my search for a second roll!

Karin L

Comments (4)