Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19754964

Leaking Windows

User
10 years ago

Hello!

I debated about which forum to put this on, but I think old house experts may have a better idea. We have an 1885 Victorian in New Orleans. They are sash and cord windows that open and close very well. For a while now, when it rains (particularly when it rains heavily), our windows leak in the corners. I know there is a leak, but I can't readily find it. I've done the hose test (which yielded nothing) and we've re-painted and caulked around the windows, which solved some problems we had upstairs, but not down (six windows on wall total, three up and three down). One leaks from above and the other two from below. The sills do not slope out away from the house at all. The PO had new siding put up before we bought the house (on this side), and I think some shotty work was done. They didn't wrap the house, they just nailed the siding to the studs. One day, MANY years from now, we will have the siding taken down (all around), have hardibacker installed all around, wrap house, flash windows, maybe sprayfoam etc. Right now, that simply isn't an option for money reasons. We can't do the whole house and people don't like doing small jobs on our house because of it's height (13 ft ceiling up and down and house is 4 feet off ground).

Caulking produces moderate results because the house gets south-facing sun all day, meaning caulk and paint get dry and crack fast. I am thinking of painting around the frames externally with an exterior product similar to hydroban (if such a thing exists). I am also considering have a mill company mill a sloping sill that can be installed on top of the current one (flashing underneath it as well). This would seal the window from air and let water flow away from the window.

Any other ideas? I need something that will last me about 10-15 years with my giving yearly maintenance. I will do this properly at some point, but I need a quick fix for the moment. Also, if anyone has any idea of how I can detect leak, that would be great. My contractor and another I came up with have been stumped.

Thank you!

Comments (10)

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

to find out what is going on...the siding would
    have to come off around window.

prior to the siding install..did the windows
    leak?

better use for spray foam would be roofline & under house.
    not walls. not in La.

best of luck.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

The leaking below the window is usually caused by an exterior sill that does not have a drip nosing so water can run over the sill and travel back to the siding. Sloppy contractors caulk this junction but it fails after a few years.

The only thing that is not clear is why it is only occurring at the side.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Your problem is your search for a quick fix. A quick fix is what created this mess. You need a comprehensive fix that costs what it costs. Get in contact with a contractor with an excellent reputation and go from there.

• mxyplx
    10 years ago

Might be leaking someplace else. Guess I'd first prove beyond all doubt it was the window(s) leaking by taping plastic (or some such) over the entire thing; that is isolate it from direct rain.

For sure that would stop the rain. :-)

• whammytap
    10 years ago

Leaking windows are usually a symptom of improper flashing, as you deduced. Fix those sills right away to prevent further moisture damage to your beautiful, original windows. You can actually DIY the sills if you can use a saw and have free weekends. Sill stock is sold pre-primed at all the big box home improvement stores. Sills are time-consuming to replace, but your original windows were built with provisions for repairing and replacing any part of them. Fix the drips, but remember that your original wood windows aren't meant to be completely air- or water-tight. The wood needs a chance to breathe and exchange water vapor.

You are to be commended for wanting to keep, and to keep up your original windows. I learned how to restore, maintain, and troubleshoot wood windows because I didn't have the money to pay someone else to do so. If DIYing interests you, check out www.historichomeworks.com. I learned from the nice people there by watching the videos and asking questions on the forums. I am not affiliated with this Website or its owner, John Leeke, but he is something of a personal guru of mine.

Good luck with your beautiful old house!

Here is a link that might be useful: Historic HomeWorks

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Water showing at he sills may not be coming in from the sills. I agree a quick fix bandaid is not the correct approach and in effect may cause more damage by not allowing the real water intrusion a path to exit (however horrible what you have going on may be, imagine all that water staying inside the walls. Another factor with that much leakage is mold. You need to find out the real water intrusion places asap and fix it immediately.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am not looking for a quick fix per se, just a temporary fix until we can get the money together. I want to repair the drywall and have a little time before we can call a contract. Not to mention, getting a contractor out who will be willing to take the siding off my very tall house.

The sills upstairs were removed and slanted. Replacing them is actually harder than it seems (or it seemed so from my perspective when I saw them do it). I think adding the sloping piece of wood over the existing sill seems like an interesting idea for lots of reasons. Am i crazy in thinking that way?

The work on the siding was done before we bought the house. I have no idea if the windows leaked before. The sills are new, though I think (the ones upstairs were). I really can't tell what was done or what the person who did the work was thinking (my normal contractor who fixed the upstairs windows feels the same way).

Thanks for everyone's advice so far!

• renovator8
    10 years ago

You haven't shown us what the window looks like from outside so all we can do is guess about the leak which is pretty much a waste of time and pixels. Good luck with it.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, I didn't think about that. See attached and another in another post.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the window from the outside. It's just two windows because I can't get them all in one shot. Is this OK?