Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have hex tile they are willing to sell?

Posted by lam13 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 25, 10 at 15:05

We started remodeling the bathroom in our 1920 craftsman home. I originally planned on using the HD octagon and dot pattern for the floor tile, but now would really like to use white hexagon and do a small rosette pattern in black and gray. The problem is we need to get the tile within the next 2 weeks as we are currently operating without a bathroom. Daltile takes 6-8 weeks on special order and American Olean was $8.60 s/f, which is a little too pricey on our small budget. Anyone have any left over from a previous project? :) We need 55 s/f of white and 2 s/f each of black and gray.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have hex tile they are willing to sell?

It would help to know in what part of he world you live.

You might try Craigslist.com in order in order to avoid shipping charges.

o

I'm in central Alabama. I'll try craigslist too.

o

These sources aren't going to be cheaper, but if you're really in a time crunch, it could be worth it to pay a little extra:

http://www.hextile.com/

http://auc-tile.com/

http://www.mosaictilesupplies.com/

o

I'd get a chemical toilet and empty it at the local filling station or at a friendly neighbor's house.

Speaking of friendly neighbors, ours just had their hw heater die, and they showered over here while they got their venting up to code etc. I kinda miss seeing them every day now that they have hot water again. I can't possibly be the only one out there who enjoys my neighbors; ask around and you may be surprised at the hospitality out there just waiting to be tapped.

When we were remodeling a bath and still needed to shower, we stapled plastic sheeting around the tub surround so we could shower. Not sure where you're at, but might work for you.

6-8 weeks is an eternity when you're waiting. It's a blink of an eye in the life of the house. I'm stubborn, and I'd dig in and find a way to hold out for the tile I wanted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our camping toilet; easy to empty etc.

o

Thanks for the suggestions. We do have a half bath, so at least we have a toilet. We have been showering at a friend's house. I am willing to hold out for the tile, but hubby cannot be persuaded (to wait or spend the extra money to get them now)!

I bought a few of the HD octagon tile sheets to see what it would look like. I found that I like them better laid on the diagonal and adding some black tiles spread out a bit. The black and white they sell in sheets was a little too busy for the space. I'll give it a few more days to see if I can find a hex tile miracle, but if not I think the diagonal oct and dot will do fine.

I'm really excited about our clawfoot tub! It should be here Friday. I'm finishing up stripping and sanding the original windows that PO covered up with a shower stall. If I can figure out how to post pics, I will post some before and after shots when all done.

o

I had daltile white/cobalt octa and dot at my old place, and I love it. We were at an old seaside victorian hotel (Beachmere in Ogunquit, shameless plug), and the bathroom there had it too. I was surpised at how happy the kids were to see it again. They like it so much I'm rethinking my white hex and carrera mosaic plans.

So I think it would look great for your place too.

Best of luck, and yes, please post pictures!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here