Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
smelly house

Posted by tamara-lynn (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 07 at 12:46

I have an old home that has been in my husband's family for years. No matter how well I clean it or deodorize it, the house still has a smell. When the new vents were added through the ceiling, no one removed the old vents from the floor. I have often wondered if this had something to do with the odor. We have also had mice in the past. I love our old house, but I would like for it to smell as fresh as I keep it clean. Should the old vents be removed? , if so, by who?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: smelly house

Why don't you temporarily seal all the old ducts to see if the odor goes away?
Ron

o

What would be the best way to seal the old ducts?

I have been reading some of the other questions posted on the site. I believe the odor may be coming from the dirt floor that is exposed under our house. It is also a very tight squeeze under the house. Where would I look for someone to do work on my dirt crawl space? (remove dirt, lay barrier down, etc.) I would do it my self, but I don't have any skills. I can't even cook a hamburger or change a tire. My husband is as unskilled as I am. I have the drive and the willingness to do projects, but no know how.
Tamara

o

I wonder if it could be the mice? I have never noticed dirt floors causing an odor through the ducts before; it seems animals might be more likely. I used to live in a rented house that had that problem, and until it was resolved I would boil oranges on the stove in a big pot with plenty of cinnamon and ground cloves added. That helped a lot!

o

Tamara- I don't have an answer but thought I'd chime in and tell you that our house suffers from the same odd smell plague. We, too, have old vents in the floor that weren't removed and a tight, exposed dirt crawl space. I hadn't even thought of that as a possible cause. I look forward to reading everyone's advice to you.

o

Folks, I suspect that Tamara is either long gone or has solved her problem by now. You're posting in a 2007 thread that some slimy spammer resurrected. I hate to see you waste your time, though it's interesting to read!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here