Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my house a from a catalog/pattern book?

Posted by alexcp (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 18, 10 at 11:46

I don’t think you’ll know the answer, but I live north of Boston in a brick late Victorian house. It was built from 1896 to 1899. According to my parents, a real estate agent said it was from a pattern book, and I want to know if it was or not. I will upload a photo when I figure out how, but for now, here’s a description.

Exterior Details:

• Brick, kind of plain for a Victorian
• Bay windows on right side of front
• Porch on left side of front
• Bay windows on right side
• Window directly above porch
• Two front attic windows
• Triangular “Greek revival” type roof (although it is not a Greek revival)
• The first floor plan is similar to Sears Modern Home #264B215 from the 1916 catalog, which originally came from a “pre-1900 floor plan.” NOTE: The exterior does not look anything like the Sears house.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my house a from a catalog/pattern book?

My research indicates that Sears didn't sell kit houses at the time yours was built. It still could have come from a catalog; more likely, the builder may have used house plans developed by somebody else. Just like today, lots of companies sold house plans and lots of builders copied them.

o
RE: Is my house a from a catalog/pattern book?

I know it wasn't Sears, I just said it was similar to a Sears house.

By the way, here's a picture:

Here is a link that might be useful: My House

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here