Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
replacing barn shake siding

Posted by fhollingshead (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 19, 09 at 10:54

During my drill and fill with cellulose wall insulation job my contractor discovered a major problem with my exterior siding. The PO's replaced the cedar shakes on one wall of the house with the smaller square shakes. Actually looks OK but since the older barn shakes are 36" and the new ones are shorter they cannot be "woven" together at corners. Thus, at the corners there is no protection/coverage of the framing; it's open to the elements.

I don't have any recourse with the PO's so I priced out replacing the shakes. New 36" redwood barn shakes are $700/100 sq ft. Anyone have this problem? How can I retain the look of shake siding but avoid a hugh expense.

The real problem is the unprotected corners where water can run into the framing. Any ideas out there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: replacing barn shake siding

how about cutting back the siding on each corner and installing some 1x6 corner trim, than just caulk where the new trim meets the siding.

o

We thought of that but then that doesn't fit with the overall architectural look of alternating stucco and shake/shingle walls.

o

Is the join point between the two size of shingles an in inside or outside corner?

And, aside from the non-match of height are the bottoms of courses on both surfaces even with the other?

Molly~

o

Hi Molly:

Not sure what you mean by inside vs outside corners but one of the corners is a regular corner and the other dies into another projecting wall. As for your second question the wall in question is on a "soft story" that hangs out over space and doesn't go the full lenght of the house.

Thanks,

F

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here