Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on Architecture Style

Posted by msafirstein (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 10:18

Does anyone know what style of architecture these homes are?

Both homes are in Savannah, GA.

The first photo, white house with red door, was built around 1930.

http://www.corabettthomas.com/savannah/1709-east-henry-street/87726?fromSearch=results&szMls_Board=all&pageNumber=22&sort=priceAsc

The second home, cream and white, was built around 1920.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/301-E-46th-Street_Savannah_GA_31405_M63366-60242

Thanks.

Michelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on Architecture Style

To make it easier for everyone to view the homes, I uploaded photos at the below link.

Michelle

Here is a link that might be useful: Architecture in Savannah, GA

o

The second one looks to me like a Mission Revival, or a Spanish Colonial Revival. The stucco, arches, covered patios, etc.

The first one is a bit trickier. It would be easy to say Colonial Revival, but I don't know if that is quite right. I think it is more along the lines of "British" Colonial Revival. It brings to mind houses in more exotic colonial locales, like Africa and the Caribbean.

o

First one is a mutt ... the large overhangs are prairie style, the leaded windows are Arts and Crafts and the pillars and verandah are southern farmhouse or plantation. I could also go with "Island Plantation"

Second one is also hybrid ... semi-Spanish Colonial, but a lot of "Miami Deco" in there too, or stucco with a strong Arts and Crafts touch.

I like them both, even if they aren't purebreds.

o

They both strike me as Prairie-influence. The one with diamond-paned sash seems more classic-revival (or Hollywood) and the other purer prairie.
Rather be working from period photos, because I can't tell if something is original or not from small pics. A lot may have changed over time.
Basically bungalows both.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here