Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to mount slate fireplace surround to wall

Posted by jlc102482 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 10:16

This isn't exactly an old house question, but I know people here will have the best idea of what I mean by "slate fireplace surround". I am not sure how to go about mounting the surround to my wall. It's going on a regular plaster and lath wall where no fireplace had been previously. It's heavy, and the mantel shelf is 52" x 16" and VERY heavy. Obviously it needs to attach to wall studs, but how? Should I adhere the slate pieces to lumber and then screw the lumber to the wall studs? If so, what do I use to adhere the slate to wood?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to mount slate fireplace surround to wall

I would strongly advise posting this on the bathroom forum where several experienced tile setters "hang out." Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here