Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
svs128

Weird smell in a weird addition

svs128
13 years ago

My home is probably one of the younger here - built in 1950. At some point, a PO build a very small addition to the front of the house expanding the front bedroom by a few feet. This is the only area of the house with a crawl space and the rest of the house has a semi-finished basement. We have no issues (water, mildew, etc) with the basement.

Here is the issue... whenever it is very sunny outside, we notice a very strong smell in the front bedroom. It almost smells like hot plastic (like when you put cheap tuber ware in the dishwasher). The smells isn't affected by the outside or inside temperature. As long as it is very sunny, we smell it.

I thought it might be the old carpet but we've ripped it out and the smell is still there. I trashed the older vertical blinds (worth a try?!) and deep cleaned the room- no help.

We painted the room in July but used non VOC primer and paint. The outside of the house was painted 3-5 years ago (no vinyl siding).

Any ideas?

I'm stumped and DH isn't thrived about entering the crawl space but I'm sending him in on the next nice day. ;)

Comments (7)