Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
columbusguy1

Box Gutter Leaks?

columbusguy1
13 years ago

My box gutters are in good shape, but this past winter, and the one before, there were huge icicles where the downspouts join them. The gutters were lined about fifteen years ago with a rubber substance, and the front downspout was replaced about six years ago with new galvanized round spouting.

Looking at the gutters from the attic, the rubber lining seems okay, but I can't view the opening to the downspout without getting someone up on a ladder. There is a second downspout in the middle of the rear of the house, and it too had this problem. Is this more than a clogged downspout--no major trees overhang it, as you can see--or do I need to reline the gutters?

One bit of info: the house leans just slightly in the direction of the front downspout, so in very heavy rains the water will come over the side of the gutter as well; do you think adding another downspout on the opposite front corner would help with this as it would cut down on the amount of water going into this front drain?

The tree in front has fewer branches now due to removal of dead wood by the city forester--so I think there is even less debris collecting now. :)

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments (3)