Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chipster_2007

Bringing Out A Wall Using Easysand

chipster_2007
13 years ago

I want to bring out an area of a wall that is not straight so a countertop will fit snugly without any spaces. I am going to use easysand. Do I have to use any kind of conditioner on the wall so the easysand will stick to it? Do I have to scratch the wall up to help the easysand to adhere to it better? Also, has anyone heard of using wet newspaper in front of exposed lathe before applying easysand to it? It is either that or attaching a piece of drywall to it. Do I have to apply mesh tape to the first layer of easysand before I apply the finish coat? Thanks for you help!

Comments (10)

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

What are you putting the EasySand over? Bare lathe iof what?

wood? metal?

Applying newspaper over lath is likely to interfere with forming keys that anchor the wall to the lath. The first layer on lath needs to be applied so it extrudes through the holes and gaps in the lathe to form keys to anchor the rest of the wall.

Wood lath needs to be dampened to prevent it from drying out setting compounds before they can harden by chemical reaction.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

You can't put a finish plaster over wood lath and expect it not to fall apart. Is there no structolite/gypsolite available in your area?
    If you can't obtain a proper basecoat plaster, then forgo the plaster and substitute 3/8" drywall (over the lath) then you may float the surface level/in plane with any mud you wish, although personally I'd use durabond 90 for the rodding.
    Casey

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

While Easysand is similar to plaster it is not exactly the same.

You can use Easysand with chopped fiberglass (blowing insulation) mixed in as a base coat for smaller repairs on wood lathe. It works on expanded metal lath also.

The wood needs to be dampened and some bonding agent is a good idea (Eucoweld is the one I use most).

unless a go way out of town no one stocks Structolyte nearby, and they will only sell an entire pallet since no one wants to get stuck with it.

Even finding lime for putty is a PITA.

• chipster_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry Everyone,
    I guess my message was a little confusing. I have 2 problems. #1. I have an area where the hot/cold pipes come into the kitchen. It is 1'x2' approx area that only has bare wood lathe. I thought about applying 1/2" drywall but it is too thick. I would have to buy a whole sheet of 3/8 drywall for this small area. Someone mentioned to me using wet newspaper in that area and then applying durabond. I was just wondering what my options were to seal this up? 2# I am putting on a new countertop(with backsplash) and the wall is not square.The countertop is flush with the wall for about 2 ft and then the gap begins and graadually gets larger to a max of 1/2"over the span of 2 ft. My plan was to build out a portion of this wall so the countertop meets the wall without leaving a gap. What are your suggestions? If I was to use durabond, would I have to do something else to the wall before applying durabond ?Perhaps use a bonding agent? Thanks. I hope this clears up any questions.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

Without a fiber added to the material it is not going to make and hold the keys in the gaps of the lathe.

If you remove the lathe in the immediate area will 1/2 inch drywall be below the existing wall surface?

For such a small area removing the lathe and putting in a drywall base would be easy.

If there is nothing in the way you could open up the hole to the nearest studs on each side.

Attach some 2x2 size lumber (screwed, not nailed) as sisters on the side of each stud so that the drywall face will be about 1/8 inch behind the surface of the rest of the wall.

Screw the drywall to the sisters and then fill the depressed area in flat with Easysand (or Durabond if you can do the job without needing to sand the patch).

Durabond is VERY hard to sand.

• columbusguy1
    13 years ago

Chipster, maybe a neighbor has a piece of drywall you can use? As for the backsplash of the countertop, why don't you scribe it to fit the wall, then sand off the portions which prevent it from fitting tightly? That would be easier--all you need is a compass and some sandpaper.

And--pardon me, but I am really annoyed--it's LATH, LATH, LATH!! A LATHE is a tool used to turn wood into round objects such as spindles. Stop using a spellchecker and use your head. A dictionary is cheap and more accurate than any spellchecker invented.

• chipster_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your responses.....and columbusguy1...sorry for the misspelled word.

• columbusguy1
    13 years ago

Not moaning specifically at you Chipster, but just before posting that, I had run across five other threads here where they all chose the tool instead of the material. I mean, do people not even learn how to pronounce words in school anymore, let alone spell? An e at the end, makes it a long a--obviously 'layth' and not 'lath'...just sounding it out would tell you lathe was the wrong word.

Seriously, regarding the counter--almost any material can be sanded a bit to make it fit--just set a compass to the widest gap, then run it along the wall at the top of the backsplash, then sand off the part on the back side of the line, and the countertop will fit snugly along the wall. For the hole underneath--buy a sheet the proper thickness--you will always find a use for more drywall--trust me on that! :)

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

It is called phonics and went out of favor a long time ago.

• columbusguy1
    13 years ago

Well, brickeyee, I didn't say I was ancient...but I'm not a 'little nipper' either. :) I learned from 'Dick and Jane', and flash cards, and having to sound things out--and I'd say we didn't have a single person in school who couldn't read or do basic math. I bought a repro set of McGuffey's Readers, and I must say that even Dick and Jane were a step down from those!

I have to say that looking through children's books printed today makes me cringe--we wouldn't have had those in kindergarten I think, let alone first grade. But then, I've always enjoyed reading--I quickly went beyond the contemporary children's books, and on to more adult fare.

Chipster, I hope your project works out--let us know what happens! With pictures, if possible!