Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlndocs

How much would you expect to pay for these fixes?

girlndocs
14 years ago

For one reason and another my family went to peek at an older house for sale even though we aren't looking to buy. It's priced very, very cheap, and my husband's boss apparently thinks that means it's a good deal, but there's a lot of stuff we could see even from the outside that needs work.

The roof (composition shingle) doesn't look too good -- obviously old and lots of moss.

The aluminum siding has pieces missing and isn't very tight around the edges, like it was badly installed or not maintained. A window was replaced and the new window is smaller than the old one, so there's an area below it that's not sided.

The chimneys look pretty funky even from the ground. They're not functional, though -- electric inserts installed in the fireplaces.

Someone recently added an unfinished "utility room" to the back and it has no siding, just that particle-board looking sheathing stuff with plastic over it. Inside, what was the exterior wall of the house is still visible. Looks horrible.

The garage has its original wood siding and that looks like it's ready to fall off in several places.

And then there are some cosmetic issues like the wood-look vinyl flooring on the main floor and the hideous "garden tub" installed in the master bath. And the fake stone siding on the front porch exterior.

This place strikes me as too much to take on unless someone has a lot of time and money to dedicate to it, so it's definitely not for us, but someday I do want to buy an old house. So out of curiosity and to further my learning process here, can anyone give me a ballpark estimate on what they would expect to spend on these things? The house is just under 2000 sf, a two story 4bed, and the asking price is 129k (the average similar home in turnkey condition would probably start at, mmmmm, 165k minimum around here).

Comments (4)