Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gr82bgrammy

X Post - Installing Vintage Farmhouse sink with Backsplash

gr82bgrammy
15 years ago

I posted this in the Kitchens forum but thought some on this board might be able to advise as well...

We removed our sink to replace the countertops (I had painted a faux finish on our original white and gold speckled one to hold us over) and we were surprised to find an apron front fireclay farmhouse sink with the original sticker still attached! Now, we've decided we want to move the sink out in the base cabinet and expose the apron front. We plan to raise the sink up also instead of mounting it under the laminate as it was originally and have the countertops butt up to the sides of the sink just under the top rim. This will put about 1 1/2 inches of the sink above the counters on each side. Also, we will have to build out a box underneath the window to mount the sink backsplash on. We are planning to extend the window sill a few inches, making a wider shelf ledge, and go straight down form there. The sink backsplash will be mounted to that "box" and rest on the sink base cabinet front that will be cut to the underneath shape of the sink.

Does this sound like a good plan? I'd love to see photos of farmhouse sinks with a built in backsplash if you would care to share. All suggestions and ideas are welcome.

Here is the sink before

and here it is removed and cleaned up (with the original sticker still attached)

{{!gwi}}

This is the countertop we will use (photo of our new DIY butler's pantry just off the kitchen-still need to paint walls)

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Terry

Comments (7)