Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help needed with old closet door thumb turn latches....

Posted by melissastar (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 20, 10 at 22:38

My old house has thumb turn latches on every closet and large cupboard door...most of them in disrepair, some of them missing and some replaced with what looks like more modern versions, in bright lacquered brass. I'd like to replace the bright ones with antique brass (or at least unlacquered brass) and replace or fix the old ones.

Problem is, I can't seem to find them anywhere in the U.S....in person or online. The thumb turn is oval and has a spline spindle (star shaped). It turns a simple tube mortised inside the door...no metal casing on either the door or the jamb side...a hole is simply hollowed out for the tube to slide through.

I have found on line something that LOOKS like it's the right thing...at British hardware sites. Called a thumb turn to operate a "rack " bolt. But the pictures I see of rack bolts are much more serious locks than the metal tube and hole operation I've got. And...I still can't seem to find them in anything but polished brass or chrome.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help needed with old closet door thumb turn latches....

As you didn't post pictures, are either of these what you are looking for? I know the finish isn't the same as what you said you need, but with the names...it might be a start.

http://www.baldwinhardware.com/product_results.aspx?cid=1&csid=1&scid=68&nav=1_6

The Vandyke's link below is another stab at it.

You could also check at salvage stores....

Here is a link that might be useful: Baldwin or Vandykes

o

You can easily strip the lacquer from bright brass and tincture of time will rather quickly give the 'old brass' look.

o

Is it similar to this (link)?
Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Turn Bolt (ebay)

o

Try contacting Jim at Classic Home Design in Canton CT. He is a plan designer and also runs a fairly sizable second business dealing in antique hardware. Best of luck

o

I happen to be fortunate enough to live in Rejuvenation's home town, so I'm familiar with most of the things they offer...and it sounds like this is what you are looking for:

Here is a link that might be useful: Rejuvenation - Large Oval Cupboard Latch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here