Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Help needed with bifold or sliding doors

Posted by andybp (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 9, 09 at 21:24

We are adding a closet to one of the bedrooms in our 1873 Victorian. We need to use either sliding or bifold doors but are having a difficult time finding any that don't look out of place.

Does anyone know a resource we can pursue?


Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Help needed with bifold or sliding doors

Well I can tell you it's highly unlikely that you'll find (or even want) sliding doors - I doubt very much there was any such thing back then. However, I don't see why you can't get someone to do bifolds for you, using strong hinges and not-overly-heavy wood. I think the Victorian's might have had some form of them at the time. Have you considered curtains (something heavy, that slides on a nice wood rod and has weighted corners at the bottom to hold the shape of the fabric? How about a roll-up/drop down shade type of thing?

RE: Help needed with bifold or sliding doors

Check out Trustile Doors. They have many panel configurations. They are not inexpensive but they may be what you are looking for.

Or you could just do flush doors and apply some panel moulding on them

RE: Help needed with bifold or sliding doors

I would caution against bifold if your doors will be very wide. We just replaced a pair of bifold door with sliding after the befold doors fell loose from their hinges for the umpteenth time, and I got tired of paying for their restoration,and worried that someone might get hurt.

I think you can "dress up" sliding doors so their appearance is in keeping with the Victorian theme you want to keep. Just remember that, in those days built-in closets were very rare. People used wardrobes or armoires to store the few clothes they had.

RE: Help needed with bifold or sliding doors

MDF doors can be used as sliders and routed to any pattern you like.

Here is a link that might be useful: doors

RE: Help needed with bifold or sliding doors

If you don't want to go a custom route (it can get quite pricey) you should check out the homedepot website. They have a lot more options than they stock in stores. They have several bifolds in a "victorian" style.

Also, I would try looking for doors with narrow panels and have either a small door opening or a set of bifolds on each side. The long, tall panels seems to give a more elegant, less utilitarian feel.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here