Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wichitarick

what kind of clear finish in 1950

wichitarick
19 years ago

hi

I live in a home that was hand built in 48-50 and all the wood work is pine and and I guess shellaced .

my question if I try to try to match new stuff what sort of finish should I try .

i,m not a complete novice but have always been curious what someone used in 1950 to clear coat all my doors and all the trim in 13 rooms .

always remodeling Rick in wichita

Comments (8)

• Golddogs
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yes most likely shellac. Kind of dull and opaque? maybe cracked by now.

To test for shellac...buy a small can of denatured alcohol, put some on a rag, or small paintbrush, wipe in inconspicuous area. If the finish softens greatly or dissolves its shellac.

I think sometimes they used butchers wax over the shellac or it was applied much later.

Not sure how you would make new shellac look old.

Another possibility is Varnish.

• corgilvr
    19 years ago

Isn't Butcher's Wax just a brand name like Johnson's Wax?

• brickeyee
    19 years ago

"Not sure how you would make new shellac look old."

Choose the correct type of shellac and it should match up very well. Outside of beading and cracking shellac does not chnage very much. The surface can often be melted and smoothed by brushing with a good brush and denatured alcohol. Behlans (and a few others) make shellac in various grades (different colors). The lower grades are darker and more common on woodwork than the more refined 'water white' and super blond grades.

• atticussi
    19 years ago

There was knotty pine in the family home in the 1950s and Dad coated it with a product called Fabulon which was a type of polyurethane. He also used it on the linoleum floor which both protected it and gave it a nice shine. The product was around even then.

• bus_driver
    19 years ago

Shellac is offered as "white" and "orange". Orange is VERY dark, white will darken somewhat with time. Thin coats of white dry clear.

• wichitarick
    Original Author
    19 years ago

hi, I appreciate the answers,I really don,t think I will run into places where I need an exact match, but have been very curious as to what someone used then .
    mainly because of how much is available now, in clear finishes. I am just so thankfull that none of it was painted over with lead base paint.
    one of the selling points of this home was that it had 1 or two coats of paint anywhere and the wood was clear finish. which has caused problems with decay outside but replacing a few boards is easier than stripping 5 or 6 layers of paint . Rick

• nwesterner
    19 years ago

Our farmhouse was built in 1918 and they used fir with the orange/amber shellac. Not sure if it was waxed, don't think so as they said they would at times re-shellac. They, unfortunately, took out some of the original woodwork in the LR/DR and tried to update the rooms, including the archway between LR/DR. They did this around the mid-50's and used VG fir. I can't tell for sure if there is a stain under the shellac on the new wood, as it is a little darker and more even, but it might just be the straight amber shellac. Haven't tested to try to find out. Wish it had never been touched, but they did try to do a good job of having it fit in with the rest of the original woodwork.