Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackcats13

X post - replacing windows

blackcats13
15 years ago

I posted in remodeling, but that one doesn't seem to get the same traffic as we do here. Don't worry, these are the crappy vinyl ones I'm talking about, not wood.

We have a large picture window in the front of our house that overlooks the oh so picturesque street and lets in absolutely no breeze. Is it a big deal to have it replaced with multiple double hung? Do I just call the window company and say I want such and such?

Also, They are about half the height of the neighbors' windows (previous owner enclosed the front porch and made the windows smaller for some reason). Does the window replacement company make a bigger opening if I want bigger windows, or do I have to call someone else for that? Other then the additional cost for bigger windows, does that add significantly to the project cost? We have some kind of composite siding from ... the 70s? There could be clapboard under it, but I don't know. I wrote that yesterday, but today I realized that since that's the "new" wall from the enclosed porch there definitely isn't original siding under that.

Although this seems cosmetic, it's pretty high on our priority list. We don't have AC and because of the front windows we don't get enough breeze coming in.

Thanks!

Comments (2)