Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perrycider

Convert existing driveway to hollywood/ribbon driveway?

perrycider
10 years ago

Hi everyone!
Hope I'm in the right place (my first post!). I'm looking forward to some of that collective wisdom I always seem to find here....

We have a ton of existing concrete at our house - the driveway, a giant patio, etc. We would like to reduce the amount we have and replace it with more permeable solutions.

One question is the driveway. Rather than one solid mass of concrete, we'd like to convert the existing concrete to a "hollywood driveway." I've also seen them referred to as a ribbon driveway. Is it possible to do this (instead of tearing it all out and replacing), and how do-able is it as a DIY project?

Is there any reason we couldn't cut and jackhammer out the planting strip and then backfill that area with soil? Would it be stable enough with the soil backfilled? I'm figuring we would need to rent a diamond blade saw, a jackhammer, and a giant prybar. And a big dolly. This would be our first time using a concrete saw and a jackhammer.

Much obliged for any advice.

Comments (4)

• sunnyca_gw
    10 years ago

1st thing we would need to know is are you in the hills of L.A.? Lot of unstable ground out here & if you get driveway that is 2 strips for your wheels to drive up. The ground around those strips could be moved by too much watering or rain, some areas hardly need anything to "decide to move on down the hill into the neighbors house" The quality of the concrete would make a difference on whether it could take the stress of a jackhammer & saw, I found after the Northridge quake my driveway was cracked & where it was it looked like the cracks could be widened & brick laid side by side . I was told it might not work & they would not be responsible. There were no cracks prior to that quake & it was less than 25 yrs old so I took the chance & it turned out well. What will be between the strips, most places I've seen its weeds. It's like planting between concrete diamonds, most look awful but 1 person did it & it was beautiful haven't gone by it lately so don't know how it is now, probably couldn't even find it.So think about upkeep after you change things & cost of hauling out all that concrete, getting edges straight & not breaking part you want left. Might tackle much smaller jackhammer job 1st. You must be big & strong to even hang on to 1 & control it unless they are very different than they used to be. Good Luck!

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

There is a learning curve with a walk-behind self propelled saw.
    Do they allow street parking for concrete boats in your area?
    You'll also nee d a grinder to round off the sharp edges, and a tamp.
    A jack hammer or demo hammer will expand the concrete, so make an expansion cut.

• perrycider
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, sunnyca and snoonyb, for the advice.

Hadn't thought of the grinder for the edges, thanks. Sounds like we might need to practice up on some of the concrete removal areas where less precision is needed first!

I'm down in Culver City and am not sure about the shifting question you raised, sunnyca. Will definitely look into that.

I'd like to plant Silver Carpet (dymondia) in between the strips and hopefully avoid having a weed patch! As for all the removal I was thinking of using the concrete chunks for an informal retaining wall/bench.

Thanks again!

• zoe4mom
    6 years ago

What did you end up doing? We are in the same situation with our home. I am wondering if we can just cut out the ribbon parts for the grass and keep the existing concrete.