Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opinions? Window casing flush w/ jamb or a reveal?

Posted by la_koala (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 27, 11 at 19:27

Hi all,

We're renovating the kitchen in our 1890 Queen Anne. In the reno, we're replacing a single double-hung window with a mulled two-unit double-hungs--to maximize the view on that side.

My question is about the "reveal" point where the side casing comes over the new side jamb (where there's a part of the jamb showing past the casing edge). Is there a rule of thumb about this distance?

I mean, we'll be using Marvin Ultimate Double Hungs, which don't have the stops that the current window has. With the current window, it seems like the casing covers the side jamb to be flush with the jamb, and then the stop is another 1/4 inch, and that covers part of the sash.

With the new window, from the Marvin drawings, it looks like the sash is flush with the jamb. If I make the casing also flush with the jamb edge, will that look weird?

The architect has specified a 1/4 inch reveal, where the jamb shows by 1/4 inch. But I'm wondering if that will look weird also, because it really doesn't look the same as the old stop.

There are no other windows in the same room to have to match. The casing will be about 4 inch wide, if that matters.

It's these little details that tend to drive me bonkers! And the architect cannot articulate why he recommends what he does. GardenWeb, you're my only hope!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinions? Window casing flush w/ jamb or a reveal?

My original double hung windows have about a 3/16 reveal. I don't think you want it flush. Some sort of reveal will look better but without the stop molding, it's not going to look the same anyway so do what you think looks best.

Diane

o

IMO 1/4" is too broad; On modern work I use 3/16" and on my own old house it was 1/8", and some instances, zero, where the bead stop came right up to the casing, making it an extension of it. Some of my window frames are much deeper, and those have the 1/8" reveal, along with all the door casing.
If you're caulking the joint for paint, 3/16" is great, 1/8" sort of shy.
Casey

o

Hey, thanks Diane for weighing in that it will look better with some sort of reveal than having it flush. I don't have much of an instinct for the aesthetics--other than I know what I like when I actually see it! So I really appreciate it when someone can speak to that.

Thanks Casey for posting about your experience with the different widths. Oh, and that's a great point about caulking! I never would have thought ahead like that. I've caulked the cracks in my dining room, and I can see why you say 1/8" would be shy.

Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here