Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
la_koala

Opinions? Window casing flush w/ jamb or a reveal?

la_koala
13 years ago

Hi all,

We're renovating the kitchen in our 1890 Queen Anne. In the reno, we're replacing a single double-hung window with a mulled two-unit double-hungs--to maximize the view on that side.

My question is about the "reveal" point where the side casing comes over the new side jamb (where there's a part of the jamb showing past the casing edge). Is there a rule of thumb about this distance?

I mean, we'll be using Marvin Ultimate Double Hungs, which don't have the stops that the current window has. With the current window, it seems like the casing covers the side jamb to be flush with the jamb, and then the stop is another 1/4 inch, and that covers part of the sash.

With the new window, from the Marvin drawings, it looks like the sash is flush with the jamb. If I make the casing also flush with the jamb edge, will that look weird?

The architect has specified a 1/4 inch reveal, where the jamb shows by 1/4 inch. But I'm wondering if that will look weird also, because it really doesn't look the same as the old stop.

There are no other windows in the same room to have to match. The casing will be about 4 inch wide, if that matters.

It's these little details that tend to drive me bonkers! And the architect cannot articulate why he recommends what he does. GardenWeb, you're my only hope!

Comments (3)