Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geoduck_gw

Black walls under paper?

geoduck
14 years ago

Hi,

My husband and I are restoring our 1931 bungalow. Our interior walls are plaster and have visible seams, which I always assumed were due to painted over wallpaper. However, on closer inspection, the paper isn't traditional wallpaper-- it's a rough, brown, almost paper-bag texture, and the walls behind it are black. Does anyone know what this is? I skimmed through Jane Powell's _Bungalow Details- Interiors_ and couldn't find any references to it. I did find an old post about a similar situation (link below), but nobody answered the wall question. If you do know what it is, what should I do with it? Can I just paint over it, or should I strip the paper off? I have to admit, I don't love the look of the seams, but I could live with it.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures, but there is a picture in the linked-to thread.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous black wall thread

Comments (9)

• schoolhouse_gw
    14 years ago

Is it tar paper, the kind that roofs are covered with before shingles are applied?

• macv
    14 years ago

What do you mean by "the walls behind it are black". What part of it is black and what is the nature of the wall material? This might be wood fiber board often called beaver or buffalo board. It would be dark brown but it sometimes had an asphalt saturated face when used on the exterior of a building.

• geoduck
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the replies! I did a google image search on Beaverboard, and it's definitely not that or tar paper.

The walls are plaster over wood lath. The black stuff is some kind of coating on the plaster. The black layer is then covered with this weird rough paper and painted. My husband thinks the black stuff is some kind of adhesive for the paper, but it's not like any adhesive I've ever seen. If you touch it, your finger comes away dirty (although, in this house, it might just BE dirt :) ).

It seems like it's original-- I can't detect any paint layers under the black stuff, all the paint appears to be on top of the paper. It's in every room except the kitchen, utility porch and bath, which have normal painted plaster and beadboard.

I'll try to post a picture at some point-- I'm apparently the last person on earth who doesn't own a digital camera...

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

They used to use black mastic to mount things like mirrors or Vitrolite, and it was also used for linoleum glue, but never thought they'd use it for wallpaper paste. It will have to be scraped off. Maybe the brown paper was put on the keep it from bleeding through. It's really hard to stain block asphalt mastic. If it does bleed on you, try a PVA primer.
    Casey

• geoduck
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Casey. I appreciate the info. Sure was hoping to avoid more scraping, though...

• User
    6 years ago

Hello, I know exactly what you are talking about because I just found it in my house, which was built in the early 1950s. I am wondering if it is mastic? Did you ever find more info after your original post? I decided to remove wall paper in the bathroom. It's only one layer and underneath I found a layer of black on the original wall. It almost looks like todays version of very old chalkboard paint. It's the colour of carbon paper, if anyone remembers that. Black, but almost with a dark purple haze and now that it's been uncovered it's starting to peel a bit, which has me concerned. Because I don't know what it is, I'm not sure if I should mess with it further. Now I just have a mess in the bathroom unfortunately.

• User
    6 years ago

Also, I hope it's not mastic because they say much of that had asbestos mixed in it, which would be very bad to scrape off.

• lazy_gardens
    6 years ago

WHERE is this house?

• Debbie Downer
    6 years ago

Usually old wallpaper was just adhered with wheat paste - which is easily removed by steam heat or warm soapy water + scrub brush. Have you tried that yet- that might tell you if the black is glue or some kind of paint layer that the paper was glued over....?