Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying to identify style of 1904 home

Posted by Abigails2012 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 12, 12 at 18:36

We purchased our home last summer. I was told it was a salt box style but that doesn't seem to fit my research. Also told it was a craftsman, but that doesn't seem quite right either, but much more so than a salt box. I would like to add more photos but don't see how to on this posting. Any thoughts/opinions or sources of information regarding the architecture of our house would be appreciated! Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Abigail's Bed & Breakfast Inn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying to identify style of 1904 home

Around here, it would probably be called Victorian Farmhouse.

o

Saltbox and farmhouse are building form and use descriptions that can be independent of architectural styles although most of them were derived from Colonial styles and if that is the case (not enough photos to know) this house would more properly be called a Colonial Revival which would have been popular in 1904 even if the interiors retained some late Victorian detailing.

I wonder if the room over the porch wasn't added later.

o
also

Forgot this link

Here is a link that might be useful: Colonial Revival architecture in Oregon

o

Looked at the house via satellite and my question is: not including the area over the front porch how many rooms are there upstairs and down? Downstairs - front parlor, LR, dining and kitchen with 3 bedrooms upstairs and bath or similar?

From the roof line, etc. I believe you have a modified American Foursquare (i.e. different regions tweeked the "normal") with an upstairs sleeping porch (used during warm weather prior to a/c) that got partially closed in during a later remodel. The dormer window would have been removed with the remodel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here