Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cedar Shingle, Shake or Standing Seam Metal Roof?

Posted by a_posse_ad_esse (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 10, 10 at 18:33

Hi Everyone,

Another question for the 1860s cut stone farm house in Ontario.

We have to make some roofing decisions in the next year and we are struggling with the choice between cedar (which was probably the original material) or standing seam metal.

If we choose cedar, I have read so many divergent things about the quality & longevity of both shake and shingle, and that shingle NOT shake was probably not used on houses in the 1860s...

I'd be so grateful if you could share your experiences and thoughts about the choice especially if you could shed some light on the diverse opinions about maintaining a cedar roof.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cedar Shingle, Shake or Standing Seam Metal Roof?

Cedar and copper details don't mix well, for starters.
In my area there was a tradition of slate for the main roof and standing-seam tin for porch roofs or other areas where falling ice would destroy the slates.
Shakes tend to last longer than sawn shingles because they self-ventilate better, and they contain more actual material.
I think now that cedar shingles last longer than 20 years ago (when they were failing left and right in a few years) because some better details have been worked out. The courses now get interfaced with a spun synthetic material so that water is not trapped between.
Actual seamed-in-place standing seam is always going to be a great material and an appropriate look for an old house. I view with disdain the snap-lock fake "standing-seam look" materials. They don't have the same craftsmanship, appearance or IMO longevity as the real thing.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here