Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Booboo on trying to remove paint from hardware, how to fix it?

Posted by gardeningmomof5 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 18:17

During a moment of not thinking properly, I removed the hardware from one of our doors, and soaked in paint remover to remove the white paint on it. Checked on them and it did a very good job... of stripping ALL the paint. The original black paint as well, hence the lack of thinking on my part. So here is the two part question. What type of paint should I use to re-paint the stripped one, and is there a way to remove the white paint from the rest of the hardware (every door in the house has hardware like the above pic) without removing the original paint?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Booboo on trying to remove paint from hardware, how to fix it

I never use paint remover on hardware. I boil it in water in an old pan it "melts" the paint allowing you to wipe it off (careful-it gets really hot). I'd try it on one piece. If the top layer is latex, there's a good chance that just light boiling might be enough to enable you to wipe off the white paint leaving the enamel original coat intact. Worth a try.

o

Black rustoleum (oil enamel) with a few drops of red added in to warm it up will be a pretty fair match. Straight black can read a little cold/blue, is why I add red.
Casey

o

Both good tips, thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here