Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
radiant drywall

Posted by dab320 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 8, 09 at 18:09

The lower level of our tri-level is very cold. Will radiant drywall, on the walls, warm the area? The floor is a cement slab and I was told radiant heat under carpet and/or wood is a no no. Please help us!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: radiant drywall

Can you get some insulation blown in?

o

Radiant heat under wood flooring is used all the time, though most suppliers prefer engineered or laminate (a picture of wood) not hardwood.

o
RE: followup

See link for good explanation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Radiant Heating and Wood Floors

o

What is "radiant drywall"?

o

I assume the op was referring to ceiling heating panels from Panelectric or other manufacturer. Wall panels are also available.

Here is a link that might be useful: Radiant Heating Panel Association

o

I can't imagine anyone would want to pay the premium needed to heat a space with electric heating panels unless it's a summer house.

It's misleading to call prefab panels on a ceiling or electric wires behind, in front of, or between drywall panels "radiant drywall". Electric radiant heating embedded in finish materials has been around for at least 50 years that I know of and doesn't need new name.

o

You probably would be better off with a radiant ceiling heating system. When insulated above it will draw the heat down and it will heat everything in the room. If you go to www.calorique.com you can see an install manual of radiant ceiling heat which is very easy to install. Regarding the wires in the drywall, this is a very old system but well worth it when it was installed. They are now failing and folks are looking to replace them with another radiant ceiling heat product.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here